Episode 101: Overtraining & Under eating: Why Your Hard Work Is NOT Paying OffMar 04, 2021
In this episode, Rachel dives into how to change your physique without causing burnout, maximizing your gym time AND recovery time, signs of under eating, setting up a deficit, tracking your NEAT, and much more!
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
“Training too much and consistently being under-recovered will 100% limit your progress.” - Rachel Gregory
- I was wondering if you could discuss rest days on your podcast. I’m a female firefighter and some days I don’t have time to work out and I feel tired from lack of sleep and then won’t have the energy to work out following my shift. What is your take on rest days and deload weeks?
- Additionally, I have low cortisol as a result of years of firefighting on top of trying to maintain a heavy workout routine 5x a week with some 2-a-days. Sometimes I try to make up for missed workouts at work so I jam it into my days off even if I’m tired from minimal sleep the nights before. So I was wondering if someone with low cortisol would benefit from more rest. I’m finding it hard to be okay with multiple rest days a week and also can tell I’m getting weaker the more I try to spin my wheels and train through fatigue. Where is the line between getting enough NEAT in vs over-resting vs overtraining. Thanks for all your advice!
- Hey Rachel, can you give a little insight to undereating? How do you know you are undereating (like signs), and what deficit is too much?
- Rest and Recovery: why you need to start prioritizing it
- How muscle protein synthesis and muscle protein breakdown really work
- Telltale signs that you're overdoing it in the gym
- Signs of undereating and how to set up your deficit effectively
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel dives into a Friday Q&A episode
- [2:00] Muscle Science for Women is officially launching with Ashleigh Vanhouten!!
- [2:30] Check out episode 103 with Ashleigh for details all about the program!
- [3:30] Question: What is your take on rest days and deload weeks?
- [6:00] Exercise as a stress reliever?
- [14:00] Deload weeks
- [16:00] Where is the line between getting enough NEAT in vs over-resting vs overtraining?
- [22:00] The Keto For Women Program
- [23:30] Question: Can you give a little insight to undereating? How do you know you are undereating (like signs), and what deficit is too much?
- [25:00] Biofeedback Metrics
- [34:00] Nutritional Periodization
- [36:00] If you're enjoying the show share it out by screenshotting an episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show! You can also email [email protected]. Check out Rachel’s resources, recipes, podcast episodes, quick guides and much more at her website www.metflexlife.com
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Episode 103 with Ashleigh for details all about the program!
- The Keto For Women Program
- Episode 58: Using Heart Rate Zones During Training, Deload Weeks, Protein Shakes, and Best Nutrition Science Books
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos