Episode 105: Basics To Building Your ‘Ideal’ Physique with Aaron StrakerMar 23, 2021
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Aaron Straker is a N.A.S.N. Licensed Primary Sports Nutritionist and a self-described “general iron sports enthusiast.” He prefers a pragmatic approach to nutrition that focuses on simple food selection, the importance of nutrient density, and the importance of objectivity in dieting and reporting.
Operating Straker Nutrition Company, he provides nutrition coaching programs and education on exactly how to leverage nutrition for improving body composition safely and sustainably, by leveraging nutrition periodization phasing. Aaron is passionate about providing sound education and information in the fitness and nutrition space and putting nutrition at the forefront for producing optimal health.
In this episode, Aaron and I talk about the most effective ways to pair your exercise selection to your specific goal, common training mistakes, why recovery is the missing piece for a lot of people, measuring intensity of workouts, understanding metabolism and lots more!
- How to choose exercises to ‘work less and gain more’
- How to build your training base: machines vs. compound movements
- Three common nutrition mistakes when building muscle and changing body composition
- Lifestyle aspects that aren’t sexy but should be a main focus
- What common mistakes do you see clients make in terms of aligning their training to their goals?
- Can you chat about exercise selection and how you don’t need to always go for heavier weights to build more muscle?
- How do you prep yourself for being intentional during every single workout?
- Do you ever recommend your clients train to failure?
- Why is recovery so important?
- What are common mistakes you see when it comes to nutrition for prioritizing building muscle and changing your body composition?
- What's your recommendation on nutrient timing with clients?
- Can we chat about metabolism and how it's not static, meaning it changes over time?
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel is back for a guest episode with Aaron Straker! Special announcement of Rachel’s newest collab with Ashleigh Vanhouten @themusclemaven!
- [0:30] LEARN MORE: Muscle Science For Women
- [2:00] If you're enjoying the show share it out by screenshotting an episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show!
- [2:30] Rachel welcomes Aaron Straker @aaron_straker back to the show! Episode 29: Aaron Straker: Objective Eating, Setting Realistic Expectations To Match Your Lifestyle and Importance Of Tracking Data
- [3:00] Aaron gives a brief bio of himself and his nutrition background
- [3:30] Eat, Train, Prosper
- [4:00] Question: Can you speak on your experiences with common mistakes you see that clients make in terms of aligning their training to their goals?
- [4:30] Common myths around goals and ‘ideal physiques’
- [7:00] Question: Can you chat about exercise selection and how you don’t need to always go for heavier weights to build more muscle?
- [10:30] What is training age?
- [16:30] Question: Can we touch on your experience of how to prep yourself for being intentional during a workout?
- [19:00] What is the RIR scale?
- [23:00] Question: Do you ever recommend your clients to train to failure in any regard?
- [25:00] Question: Why is it so important that you need to recover? And what have you experienced with that with yourself and your clients?
- [29:30] Question: What are the top three mistakes that you see when it comes to nutrition for prioritizing building muscle and changing your body composition?
- [33:30] Question: What's your recommendation on nutrient timing with your clients?
- [39:00] Protein Range Database
- [42:00] Question: Can you break down metabolism and how it's not static, meaning it changes over time?
- [46:30] You can check Aaron out on his website https://strakernutritionco.com/, on IG @aaron_straker and his podcast: Eat, Train, Prosper
- [48:30] LEARN MORE: www.metflexlife.com/muscle-science-women
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos