Episode 107: Fasting & Muscle Preservation, Early Morning Training, How To Build Your Pre & Post-Workout MealsApr 02, 2021
In this episode, Rachel gives tips on how to get the most out of pre and post workout meals, training in a fed or fasted state and why there may be benefits to both depending on your primary goal, determining how often to fast in a fat loss phase, and more!
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
"Timing your carbs post workout can be helpful for decreasing cortisol levels, refilling muscle glycogen stores, and basically creating the best environment possible for recovery." Rachel Gregory
- How does intermittent fasting work for muscle preservation during a fat loss period?
- Thoughts on early morning fasted workouts?
- What are your favorite pre and post workout meals and why?
- Two things to make sure your focusing on when going into a fat loss phase
- Benefits of post workout fueling especially if training in a fasted state
- Signs to look for to see if you can train in a fed or fasted state to maintain muscle
- What to focus on when putting together your pre and post workout meals
- Grams of protein to shoot for in each meal
- Rachel’s favorite pre workout meal
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Today’s episode is a Q&A! Also if you haven’t checked out the newest program available Muscle Science for Women from Rachel and Ashleigh Vanhouten go to www.metflexlife.com/muscle-science-women
- [0:30] If you're enjoying the show share it out by screenshotting an episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show!
- [1:30] Question: How does intermittent fasting work for muscle preservation during a fat loss period?
- [3:30] Rachel’s breakdown on types of fasting and when to use them
- [5:30] Importance of fueling for your specific goal and body size
- [11:00] PSMF Days
- [11:30] Hunger Hacks
- [14:30] Question: Thoughts on early morning fasted workouts?
- [22:00] Question: What are your favorite pre and post workout meals and why?
- [24:00] What to focus on when putting together your pre and post workout meals
- [24:30] Grams of protein to shoot for in each meal
- [27:00] Episode 71: Lose Fat AND Build Muscle with Christopher Barakat
- [29:30] Salt! Don’t forget the benefits of salt!
- [30:30] Rachel’s go-to pre workout meal and snack
- [36:30] The anabolic window and why eating protein after a workout for muscle building is key
- [40:00] Carbs and when to utilize them to get the most benefits
- [48:00] The Salt Fix
- [49:30] If you’re interested in the Muscle Science for Women Program check it out HERE! Any podcast questions you’d like to have answered, email Rachel at [email protected]
- [50:00] If you're enjoying the show share it out by screenshotting an episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show!
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Muscle Science for Women
- Episode 71: Lose Fat AND Build Muscle with Christopher Barakat
- The Ultimate Protein Cheat Sheet
- Episode 100: How To Choose The Best Protein Sources: Top 6 Questions To Ask Yourself
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos