Episode 108: The Vicious Cycle Of Being Overworked And Underfed with Jenny BlakeApr 09, 2021
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Listeners can find Jenny Blake at her website https://jennythenutritionist.com/create-your-shape/ and on Instagram @jennythenutritionist.
Jenny is a Licensed Nutritionist who helps active, Type A ladies change their body composition in her program, Create Your Shape. With a background in Crossfit and a Nationally Qualified Bikini competitor, she's learned the strategies to build muscle, decrease body fat, and ultimately change your body shape. Jenny then applied these strategies to "normal" life, and focused on only doing what's most effective. Do less, but with more intention is the key to efficiency. She's helped hundreds of ladies build their shape, understand the strategy, and create a routine to serve them long term.
In this episode, we chat about how to work smarter, not harder to get results, how to get the best out of your training program, old diet culture methods and why they don’t work, habit building, and more!
- Jenny’s five metrics used to optimize health
- Number one tool used to change your body composition
- Mindless workouts vs. intentional programming
- How to strategically improve calorie intake to start seeing results
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Today is a guest episode with Jenny Blake!
- [0:30] Few days left to sign up for the Muscle Science For Women Program!
- [1:00] If you're enjoying the show share it out by screenshotting an episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show! Or leave a review on itunes!
- [2:00] Rachel introduces guest Jenny Blake @jennythenutritionist to the show!
- [2:30] Jenny dives into her childhood and how she became passionate about fitness and nutrition
- [5:00] The vicious cycle of being overworked and underfed
- [9:30] Question: In terms of strategies, where do you like to start with your clients?
- [12:30] Nutritional periodization for long term goals vs. immediate gratification
- [14:00] Question: What are metrics that you personally use with your clients?
- [17:00] Increasing calories to actually help achieve your goals!
- [19:00] How to convince clients to rewire their thinking on diet culture to achieve optimal results
- [22:30] Question: Can we talk about circuit style training classes and how they can lead to being unproductive when overused to achieve body composition results?
- [24:30] “I like to think training and working out is serving two different purposes, one to exhaust your lungs, and then to change your body shape and to build muscle.”
- [26:00] Metabolic adaptation and relative energy deficiency
- [28:30] Benefits of recovery mode
- [30:00] Intentional programming explained and why it's important to follow a progressive, structured program vs. mindless working out or ‘program hopping’
- [36:00] Nutrient timing
- [36:30] How to work smarter not harder
- [42:30] Goals and how to finetune your physique
- [45:00] “We start to think that consistency is on the same level as perfection when it’s actually the opposite.” Rachel
- [45:00] Habit building to create a lifestyle you can adhere to
- [47:30] “If you take three weeks and actually think about the math problem, and divide those three weeks, your body represents months and weeks of what you've done beforehand, not just the day before or that day.” Jenny
- [53:30] Check out Jenny’s programs at https://jennythenutritionist.com/create-your-shape/ and on Instagram @jennythenutritionist
- [53:30] Last chance to sign up for the Muscle Science For Women program!
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for free recipes, exercise tips, nutrition advice, product discounts, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss fitness program keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle lunch meal prep miniflex muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition youtube