Episode 111: How To Optimize Protein Intake & Distribution Across Your Day To Maximize GainsApr 30, 2021
In this episode, Rachel takes a deep dive into protein absorption, the leucine threshold, the muscle full effect, optimal meal timing for muscle growth, and much more!
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
"The amount of protein you can utilize in a single meal to stimulate muscle protein synthesis seems to depend on the amount and type of training you do and how much muscle mass you have." Rachel Gregory
- What should be the average amount of protein per meal? I’m consuming 145 to 175 grams per day (1-1.2 g/lb body weight). Is going over a waste?
- How much protein can we absorb in one meal?
- How much protein can be used in a single meal for building muscle?
- How do you determine how much protein to eat per meal?
- How many meals should you eat per day?
- How much leucine is in your common daily foods
- How to better understand meal timing while optimizing protein synthesis
- Why the Muscle Full Effect matters for optimizing your gains
- Two common myths/concerns around protein explained
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Today’s Q&A is all about answering common questions related to protein intake and distribution throughout the day to maximize gains.
- [0:30] If you're enjoying the show, please share it out by screenshotting this episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show! For all resources from Rachel’s blog, podcast, programs, recipes and others check out www.metflexlife.com
- [1:00] Question: What should be the average amount of protein per meal? I’m consuming 145 to 175 grams per day (1-1.2 g/lb body weight). Is going over a waste?
- [2:00] Questions within the question: How much protein can we absorb in one meal? How much protein can be used in a single meal for building muscle? How do you determine how much protein to eat per meal? How many meals should you eat per day?
- [2:30] Episode 100: How To Choose The Best Protein Sources: Top 6 Questions To Ask Yourself
- [5:30] Study: Nutritional interventions to augment resistance training-induced skeletal muscle hypertrophy
- [5:30] Study: Myofibrillar muscle protein synthesis rates subsequent to a meal in response to increasing doses of whey protein at rest and after resistance exercise,
- [5:30] Protein Considerations for Optimising Skeletal Muscle Mass in Healthy Young and Older Adults
- [8:00] 2016 Study: The response of muscle protein synthesis following whole-body resistance exercise is greater following 40 g than 20 g of ingested whey protein
- [10:30] The leucine threshold and its importance to sparking new muscle growth
- [11:00] Episode 43: All Things PROTEIN with Shawn Wells
- [12:00] Study: The impact of protein quality on the promotion of resistance exercise-induced changes in muscle mass
- [13:30] Examples of common foods containing sufficient amounts of leucine
- [18:00] How many meals should I eat per day?
- [19:00] Muscle Protein Balance
- [28:30] Is a high protein intake dangerous?
- [29:30] Why are the RDA recommendations for protein intake so low?
- [31:30] If you're enjoying the show, please share it out by screenshotting this episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show!
OTHER THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- If you are interested in other resources check them out HERE!
- Episode 100: How To Choose The Best Protein Sources: Top 6 Questions To Ask Yourself
- Episode 43: All Things PROTEIN with Shawn Wells
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition