Episode 112: Energy Flux: The Missing Piece To Your Fitness Journey with Brandon DaCruzMay 07, 2021
Brandon DaCruz is an online nutrition and physique coach, internationally published fitness model, National Level NPC competitor and the National Sales Manager for a New York based sports nutrition company called Innovapharm.
Brandon has spent the past 12 years working within the sports nutrition and fitness industries and believes in blending what’s been proven in the research with his own anecdotal and first hand in the trenches experience to improve body composition, optimize performance and enhance health in order to help his clients achieve their goals whether that be building muscle, losing body fat, increasing performance or optimizing health and longevity.
In this episode, we dive into the concept of “energy flux” -- what it is, how to achieve optimal results from it, the difference between a high and low energy flux, mental framing and how it can help pivot your perspective on exercise and much more!
- Benefits of achieving a high energy flux
- Two practical ways to achieve a high energy flux
- How to get the most out of your NEAT
- One major contributor to a high energy flux
- The concept called mental framing and the value of incorporating it into your life
- What is energy flux?
- What are the two forms of energy flux?
- How can you achieve high energy flux?
- What are the benefits of high energy flux as compared to low energy flux?
- Can you explain practically what it looks like to achieve a high energy flux?
- Can you talk about some of the studies that relate to energy flux?
- Is there any adaptation that you've seen occur with general movement when we're talking about energy flux?
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill!
- [1:30] The real battle in the nutrition space is how to keep the weight off after you’ve lost it
- [2:30] Rachel introduces guest Brandon DaCruz @brandondacruz_
- [3:00] Brandon gives the listeners a background on his journey in the health and fitness space
- [4:30] Question: What is energy flux?
- [7:00] Question: What are the two forms of energy flux?
- [8:00] “Low flex is essentially where you put in less energy into the system. And you also get less energy out as a result of eating less and then having to move less.” Brandon DaCruz
- [9:30] Question: How can you achieve high energy flux?
- [15:30] Benefits of a high energy flux
- [19:30] Question: Can you explain practically what it looks like to achieve a high energy flux?
- [24:30] The major benefits of hitting your daily step goal
- [30:30] The concept called mental framing and the value of incorporating it into your life
- [34:30] Constrained Total Energy Expenditure and Metabolic Adaptation to Physical Activity in Adult Humans
- [40:00] Question: Can you explain to the listeners what it looks like for you personally to get 15-20K steps a day?
- [41:00] “The neurons that fire together wire together.”
- [44:30] “As a coach, I'm not just here for the X's and O's, and macros, calories and sets and reps, I'm here to better your life in all aspects: stress management, lifestyle modification, behavior, you know, change.”
- [48:30] Different forms of physical activity without even realizing it!
- [50:30] How to take baby steps towards changing a habit
- [52:30] Question: Can you touch on some of the studies that relate to the energy flux?
- [53:30] Appetite regulation and satiety study
- [57:30] Benefits of going from low flux to high flux state in crossover study
- [1:00:30] Amish study: How high energy flux leads to low body fat and better metabolic health
- [1:05:00] Question: Is there any adaptation that you've seen occur with general movement when we're talking about energy flux?
- [1:09:00] You can find Brandon on IG @brandondacruz_
- [1:09:00] If you know someone that needs MetFlex and Chill in their lives please share! Take a screenshot and tag @rachelgregory.cns and @brandondacruz_ to help grow the show and spread the word on this episode! :)
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition