Episode 121: Enjoying Vacation Guilt-Free Through Metabolic FlexibilityJul 09, 2021
In this episode, Rachel chats all about metabolic flexibility tips to use before, during, and after your vacation so you can get exactly what you want out of that special break in your routine. Rachel also gives mindset practices along with alcoholic drink sweetener alternatives to swap out for the higher calorie, sugary stuff.
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
“It doesn't matter what we do some of the time, it matters what we do most of the time. Consistency is the biggest driver of any transformation.” Rachel Gregory
- Any tips on how to not go off the rails too much to avoid excessive fat gain with regards to diet and exercise during a vacation to be reasonable but still enjoy my time and food? I could definitely use some tips on eating, like should I continue tracking calories &/or macros and shoot for maintenance? What about enjoying alcohol which I’ve avoided? I was planning on resistance training by bringing my bands/TRX on my trip and doing cardio walks/jogs, thoughts?
- Five mindset points to prioritize when traveling to create more metabolic flexibility
- How to set your intentions with your mini and main vacations throughout the year
- When to splurge and how to do it strategically
- Tips on ordering alcohol and cocktails while vacationing
- Deciding to use a vacation as a deload week or break from lifting
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Today’s Q&A episode is solely focused on nutrition and exercise to create a metabolic flexibility approach while vacationing
- [1:30] The goal is to get into the top 100 on health podcasts on iTunes! To help us do that, leave a rating and review on Itunes!
- [1:30] How to Leave an Apple Podcast Review: First, Open the podcast app on your iPhone, Mac, or iPad. Then, hit the “Search” tab at the bottom right-hand corner of the page and search for MetFlex and Chill. Select the podcast, scroll down to find the subheading “Ratings & Reviews”. and select “Write a Review.” Next, select the number of stars you’d like to leave. Please choose 5 stars! Using the text box which says “Title,” write a title for your review. Then in the text box, write the review itself. The review can be up to 300 words long, but doesn’t need to be much more than: “Love the show! Thanks!” or “Rachel provides wonderful content from a multitude of expert guests!” Once you’re done select “Send” in the upper right-hand corner.
- [2:00] Rachel is doing a giveaway! One winner will be chosen from the Itunes reviews to receive a one-hour FREE consult call with her to ask any questions you have about your personal nutrition and training protocol. ! Thank you for all your love and support for MetFLex and Chill!
- [4:30] Question: Any tips on how to not go off the rails too much to avoid excessive fat gain with regards to diet and exercise during a vacation to be reasonable but still enjoy my time and food? I could definitely use some tips on eating, like should I continue tracking calories &/or macros and shoot for maintenance? What about enjoying alcohol which I’ve avoided? I was planning on resistance training by bringing my bands/TRX on my trip and doing cardio walks/jogs.
- [6:00] Number one tip: set your intentions
- [12:30] Consider using calorie cycling the week before your vacation
- [13:00] Episode 120: Can I Lose Weight Without Tracking Macros?
- [14:30] Episode 114: Protein Sparing Modified Fasts (PSMF) with Robert Sikes
- [18:00] Focus on tracking protein and calories if you choose to track on vacation
- [22:30] Client feedback on traveling and choosing not to track but focusing on mindset, portion control, protein, etc.
- [24:30] Episode 120: Can I Lose Weight Without Tracking Macros?
- [25:00] Splurging Strategically
- [26:30] Latin House deep-fried burrito - Rachel says it’s one of the best splurges she’s ever had
- [28:00] Buttercream Cupcakes and Coffee
- [28:30] The issues with having a scarcity mindset and how to train your mind to be more flexible on vacation
- [35:30] Managing alcohol on vacation or when you want to enjoy a drink while being mindful of calories
- [39:00] Stock up on protein and low carb veggies
- [43:00] Deciding which meal has the most emotional value attached to it
- [48:00] Tips for eating at restaurants - choosing foods with the least amount of ingredients will give you more control
- [49:30] Asking for as much of the meal on the side: seeds, cheeses, nuts, dressing, etc.
- [53:30] Get your movement in even while on vacation
- [57:00] A tip on formal exercise while traveling
- [58:00] What is a deload week?
- [1:04:30] Episode 118: 7 Reasons The Scale Is Lying To You About Your Progress
- [1:05:00] “It doesn't matter what we do some of the time, it matters what we do most of the time. Consistency is the biggest key in any transformation.”
- [1:09:30] Rachel is doing a giveaway! A one-hour consult with her if you are the winner from leaving a rating and review! If you have already left one- thank you! You can use a friend's phone if you’d like to leave another :)
- [1:11:30] Thanks for listening!
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Episode 114: Protein Sparing Modified Fasts (PSMF) with Robert Sikes
- Episode 120: Can I Lose Weight Without Tracking Macros?
- Episode 58: Using Heart Rate Zones During Training, Deload Weeks, Protein Shakes, and Best Nutrition Science Books
- …And Then I Ate My Feelings
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for free recipes, exercise tips, nutrition advice, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss fitness program keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle lunch meal prep miniflex muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition youtube