Episode 152: The Science of Self Control with Menno HenselmansFeb 11, 2022
To watch this episode and other past episodes, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Don’t forget to join Rachel’s weekly newsletter, The Friday Flex here: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
Menno Henselmans is an international public speaker, scientist, and online physique coach. He has several pro-card-winning clients and international prize winners in physique sports and powerlifting. Menno is also the author of the book - The Science of Self Control where he discusses the essentials of how the human mind works, what willpower is, how to be more productive, how to stick to your diet, how to make your workouts less effortful and how to keep yourself motivated.
In this episode, we chat about why dieting should be looked at as a skill to achieve lifelong results, benefits to diet breaks and refeeds to hit your goal, the forbidden fruit effect, and much more!
“Dieting is a skill that you need to learn. Everyone needs a lot of experience doing it, especially when it comes to traveling, social eating events, peer pressure. Just having a good diet at home is one thing, but it takes a lot of skill to master it as a whole lifestyle.” -Menno Henselmans
- Artificial sweetener myths debunked
- The benefits of taking a diet break and how it could get you closer to your ultimate goal
- Rigid diet control versus flexible diet control
- Psychological factors that play a part in cravings
- [0:00] Intro to episode trailer
- [0:30] Rachel gives a brief background of today’s guest Menno Henselmans
- [1:30] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel introduces Menno Henselmans to the listeners
- [2:30] Menno gives a brief background on his journey in the health and nutrition space
- [3:30] The Science of Self Control
- [6:00] Question: How can “empty rewards” help us stick to our diet?
- [9:00] Download your FREE Hunger Hacks Guide!
- [9:30] Question: Can you speak to the research out there on artificial sweeteners? Are they bad for you? Do they cause gut issues, etc.?
- [16:00] Are artificial sweeteners bad for your gut bacteria?, Is Aspartame safe?
- [17:00] Question: Can you talk about diet breaks and refeeds and how they can potentially get you to your end goal quicker?
- [20:00] Question: Can you talk about the difference between rigid diet control versus flexible diet control?
- [23:00] “Dieting is a skill that you need to learn. Everyone needs a lot of experience doing it, especially when it comes to traveling, social eating events, peer pressure. Just having a good diet at home is one thing, but it takes a lot of skill to master it as a whole lifestyle.” -Menno Henselmans
- [25:00] Protein Sparing Modified Fasts (PSMF) | Robert Sikes & Rachel Gregory
- [26:00] Question: Can you explain what the forbidden fruit effect is?
- [45:30] Question: What is your opinion/perspective on low carb vs. low-fat diets?
- [51:30] Question: In terms of fat intake, what would your general guideline be for the minimum amount of fat that you recommend for clients?
- [54:30] You can check out more from Menno Henselmans at his website https://mennohenselmans.com/, and on Instagram @menno.henselmans
- [58:00] Thanks for listening to another episode! If you’re loving MetFlex and Chill and want to help grow the show, please head over to Itunes and leave a rating and review! How to Leave an Apple Podcast Review: First, Open the podcast app on your iPhone, Mac, or iPad. Then, hit the “Search” tab at the bottom right-hand corner of the page and search for MetFlex and Chill. Select the podcast, scroll down to find the subheading “Ratings & Reviews”. and select “Write a Review.” Next, select the number of stars you’d like to leave. Please choose 5 stars! Using the text box which says “Title,” write a title for your review. Then in the text box, write the review itself. The review can be up to 300 words long, but doesn’t need to be much more than: “Love the show! Thanks!” or “Rachel provides wonderful content from a multitude of expert guests!” Once you’re done select “Send” in the upper right-hand corner.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle lunch meal prep miniflex muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition youtube