Episode 32: Building An Anti-Fragile Core: The Secret To Sexy AND Functional Abs
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.killinitketo.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.killinitketo.com/newsletter
In this episode, Rachel talks about how to build a strong AND sexy core, effective anti-movement training and the importance of breathing and bracing.
- A deep dive into ALL things core and ab training
- Key factors and example exercises to use in your own training to help you build and maintain a strong core
- What moves can best strengthen your core after c-sections
- [2:45] Don’t forget to screenshot, tag @rachelgregory.cns, and post to instagram!
- [4:30] Disclaimer: Be cautious about jumping back into certain core exercises after a C-Section
- [5:30] Main function of the core: to help stabilize your spine and help your trunk resist movement
- [6:00] The core extends way beyond your abs. The core also includes your diaphragm, the pelvic floor muscles, erector spinae, and more.
- [8:30] What should you be focusing on to train your core properly?
- [9:30] Anti-Movement training and the different types
- [10:00] For more guidance in this area, check out Rachel’s exercise programs and one on one coaching
- [11:00] Anti-Rotation, Anti-Extension, and Anti-Lateral Flexion
- [13:00] Building an anti-fragile body
- [13:30] Compound, or full-body, movements.
- [14:30] Even though the ability to see your abs is predominantly related to your body fat percentage; your abs are just like every other muscle in your body, you also have to build them
- [17:30] Proper breathing and bracing. One of the most underrated aspects of core training
- [19:00] Ben Pakulski is an expert in breathing and bracing. Click here to listen to our episode with Ben!
- [21:30] Valsalva Maneuver and the water bottle analogy
- [22:30] Information summary and practical tips
- [23:30] Don't forget: Lift heavy shit
- [26:30] “If you're not doing effective reps, and you are just going there and going through the motions. Honestly, you're just wasting your time.”
- [27:00] Rachel’s favorite spinal flexion exercises
- [30:30] Use proper form on the ab-wheel
- [32:00] One last mention to share on instagram! Don’t forget to get in your questions, every monday, on @rachelgregory.cns insta story
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).