Episode 31: Strict Keto vs. Flexible Dieting, Training Your Taste Buds & Nutrient Density Over Calories with Matt and Megha from Keto ConnectJun 30, 2020
KetoConnect provides a global hub for people looking to transform their lives using the ketogenic lifestyle. Matt and Megha are committed to publishing helpful resources, developing delicious recipes, and offering friendly advice to people striving to live healthier, happier lives. They founded KetoConnect in 2016 after they realized their results from the keto diet were too good not to share.
In this episode, we talk about keto experiments, nutrition during pregnancy, strict keto vs. metabolic flexibility, training your taste buds, and more!
- Metabolic flexibility is important when it comes to quality of life
- Nutrient density matters, and Keto isn’t all just about ‘fitting in your macros’
- Importance of nutrient density for growing a big strong baby
- Breaking the reward/punishment system with food and fasting
- Opinions on supplements, mineral deficiencies, and exogenous ketones
- [1:00] Recipes on KetoConnect
- [4:00] Rachel on Keto for Normies
- [4:30] The start of KetoConnect
- [6:30] It all started with a $700 camera, a YouTube channel, and a dream.
- [9:00] Matt and Megha’s initial takeaways after beginning the ketogenic lifestyle
- [10:00] “Our ancestors probably didn’t put together this salad with like different colored fruits and vegetables and like a nice vinaigrette”
- [11:00] Nutrient density matters, and Keto isn’t all just about fitting in your macros
- [14:00] To Matt, an increase in Metabolic Flexibility would equate to a decrease in fat metabolism
- [15:00] If you’re 200 pounds overweight, is MetFlex the first step for successful weight loss?
- [17:00] “If we want to go on vacation… if I want to continue to live my life, then Metabolic Flexibility has more of a place than strict Keto ever will.”
- [17:30] Matt and Megha’s ten month old has made them rethink what we are supposed to eat
- [20:00] Lily Nichols: Real Food for Pregnancy
- [22:00] The mindset needed when you go into the Doctor, pregnant, and they ask you about your diet...
- [22:30] the Weston A. Price pregnancy diet
- [24:00] What should I put in my body to grow a big strong baby?
- [28:00] Incorporating reading into your morning routine is extremely useful!
- [28:30] Catherine Shanahan: Deep Nutrition
- [29:30] Dietary experiments and “doing it for YouTube”
- [31:00] Breaking the reward/punishment system with food and fasting
- [33:30] Glycine and sleep quality
- [34:00] Supplements, mineral deficiencies, exogenous ketones
- [37:00] “[Supplements] get you in the mindset of like, this supplement is what’s gonna do it for me. When really, nothing is going to do it for you. You have to do it for yourself”
- [38:00] the efficacy of MCT oil and the effects of taking too much...
- [41:30] The Leangains Protocol - not recommended by Matt
- [43:00] Changing your meal timings as a less friction way of moving towards your goals
- [46:00] Find what works for you, even those that give nutrition advice find their lifestyle in what works best for them
- [47:00] What KetoConnect has changed their mind on in the last year
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos