Episode 60: Q&A: All About Building Muscle with Ashleigh VanhoutenOct 09, 2020
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Listeners can find Ashleigh VanHouten on Instagram @themusclemaven
In today’s Q&A episode Ashleigh and Rachel take on listeners' questions all about building muscle--how to track muscle gains, adequate amount of time to give yourself if you're in a building phase, supplements, shifting your mindset when stepping on the scale, and much more!
- Have you heard of maingaining? And if so, do you have any thoughts? Is it legit or hogwash?
- When doing a building phase, how long should you stay in it to see optimal results?
- What's a good rule of thumb to assess the ideal rate of fat gain when bulking?
- How do I track if I'm gaining muscle? And how do I know if what I'm doing is working?
- What are the best supplements to optimize muscle growth and retention?
- Recommended amount of time to dedicate if you want to see optimal muscle growth
- A simple rule of thumb to follow when assessing rate of fat to muscle gain
- Ashleigh's advice on how to take on supplements
- One of the top researched supplements in the world
- [0:00] Welcome back to another Q&A episode with Rachel and Ashleigh @themusclemaven!
- [1:00] Today’s episode is a deep dive into building muscle
- [2:00] Thank you Ketobrick for sponsoring the Friday episodes of MetFlex and Chill for the month of October!
- [3:00] Use the code METFLEXLIFE when you purchase at ketobrick.com to be entered to win a free month supply of keto bricks!
- [5:00] Ashleigh and Rachel are teaming up to do a series of Q&A podcast episodes. Today’s topic is primarily around building muscle
- [6:30] Question: Have you heard of maingaining? And if so, do you have any thoughts? Is it legit or hogwash?
- [14:30] Question: When doing a building phase, how long should you stay in it to see optimal results?
- [19:30] What’s a mini cut?
- [24:30] Question: What's a good rule of thumb to assess the ideal rate of fat gain when bulking?
- [27:00] Rachel dives into her building phase experience and uses it as an example to not obsess over numbers--obsess over progress instead!
- [37:00] Question: How do I track if I'm gaining muscle? And how do I know if what I'm doing is working?
- [43:00] Question: What are the best supplements to optimize muscle growth and retention?
- [45:30] Creatine! It’s good for so many things!
- [48:30] Creapure
- [51:00] For gut health check out bioptimizers!
- [52:00] It Takes Guts: A Meat-Eater's Guide to Eating Offal with over 75 Healthy and Delicious Nose-to-Tail Recipes
- [52:30] If you have any questions please reach out! You can find Ashleigh on Instagram @themusclemaven or Rachel @Rachelgregory.cns
- [52:30] Shout out to Ketobrick! Use the code METFLEXLIFE when you purchase to be entered to win a free month supply of keto bricks!
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition