Episode 65: Debunking Heart Health with Dr. Stephen HusseyOct 27, 2020
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Dr. Stephen Hussey MS, DC is a Chiropractor and Functional Medicine practitioner. He attained both his Doctorate of Chiropractic and Masters in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine from the University of Western States in Portland, OR. He is a health coach, speaker, and the author of two books on health; The Health Evolution: Why Understanding Evolution is the Key to Vibrant Health and The Heart: Our Most Medically Misunderstood Organ.
Dr. Hussey guides clients from around the world back to health by using the latest research and health attaining strategies. In his down time he likes to be outdoors, playing sports, reading, writing, and spending time with his wife and their pets.
In this episode, we chat all about heart health, misconceptions surrounding heart attacks, how to realistically reduce toxins in your life, stress management, and more!
- Dr. Hussey’s explanation of metabolic heart attacks
- Heart attacks can be caused by these three imbalances in the body
- Benefits of cholesterol
- Three tips to reduce your risk of atherosclerosis
- What does a “heart healthy diet” actually consist of, in your opinion, versus what the government might be slapping on cereal boxes?
- I feel great eating tons of animal protein and low carb. But now my cholesterol is high. My doctor is worried. Should I worry?
- Should you worry about high LDL, if you have low triglycerides, and high HDL, and big fluffy particles?
- Is inflammation the primary cause of heart disease? And is all inflammation bad?
- What are the top three things that you would focus on besides diet?
- Is caffeine bad for your heart? For example, does the increase in heart rate harm the heart?
- My Apple Watch gives an HRV. But I don't know what a good number is? Why does it vary?
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel introduces guest Dr. Stephen Hussey @drstephenhussey
- [0:30] Rachel gives a brief summary of today’s episode surrounding the main topic- Heart Health!
- [1:30] Shout out to our sponsor NOW Foods for guest episodes for the month of October!
- [2:00] If you want to check out NOW Foods Click HERE! Use the code METFLEXLIFENOW10 for $10 off a $40 purchase
- [3:00] Rachel introduces guest Dr. Stephen Hussey @drstephenhussey to the listeners
- [3:30] Stephen gives a brief bio of his background and research primarily around heart health
- [6:30] Rachel and Dr. Hussey found a common ground-Metabolic Flexibility!
- [6:00] What is a Metabolic Heart Attack? And what causes it to happen?
- [15:30] Question: What does a “heart healthy diet” actually consist of, in your opinion, versus what the government might be slapping on cereal boxes?
- [22:30] Low Fat, Low Cholesterol Diet in Secondary Prevention of Coronary Heart Disease
- [25:00] Why striving to lower your cholesterol might not be the best choice in general
- [30:30] Prognostic value of cardiovascular disease status: the Leiden 85-plus study Lothian birth cohort studies
- [33:00] Question: I feel great eating tons of animal protein and low carb. But now my cholesterol is high. My doctor is worried. Should I worry?
- [39:30] Question: Should you worry about high LDL, if you have low triglycerides, and high HDL, and big fluffy particles?
- [40:00] Does LDL Particle Size Really Matter?
- [44:30] Question: Is inflammation the primary cause of heart disease? And is all inflammation bad?
- [49:30] What is endotoxemia? Misconceptions around what can cause atherosclerosis
- [51:00] Question: What are the top three things that you would focus on besides diet?
- [55:30] Question: Is caffeine bad for your heart? For example, does the increase in heart rate harm the heart?
- [59:00] Question: My Apple Watch gives an HRV. But I don't know what a good number is? Why does it vary?
- [1:02:30] Listeners can find Dr. Stephen Hussey at https://www.resourceyourhealth.com/ The Health Evolution
- [1:03:00] Instagram @drstephenhussey, Twitter @Dr. Stephen Hussey and Facebook @Dr. Stephen Hussey DC, MS
- [1:04:00] Thanks for listening to another MetFlex and Chill episode! The best way to grow the show if you’re enjoying it is to take a screenshot of the episode, share it on social media and tag me @rachelgregory.cns :)
- [1:04:30] If you have any questions please feel free to message me on instagram @rachelgregory.cns or email me [email protected] and If you want to check out NOW Foods Click HERE! Use the code METFLEXLIFENOW10 for $10 off a $40 purchase
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts dinner fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips vegetables & sides videos