Episode 69: All Things CBD with Brendan RuhNov 10, 2020
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Brendan Ruh is the founder of Santa Cruz Medicinals and Santa Cruz Paleo. While studying Medical Anthropology at UC Santa Cruz, he came across ancestral health and wellness and started to eat a Paleo/Keto diet. He then got into the cannabis industry working in a lab at one of the top cannabis extraction companies. While working in the lab, he started to research CBD and the studies on CBD and other cannabinoids. He realized that CBD works wonders but only in effective doses.
While researching CBD brands to use, he found that no brands offered the doses needed at an affordable cost. This led him to create Santa Cruz Medicinals to provide a high-quality, direct to consumer solution for CBD. After founding Santa Cruz Medicinals he is taking the same business principles of high quality products and an ingredient first mentality into Santa Cruz Paleo to provide amazing keto and paleo snacks, functional foods, and supplements.
If you want to check out any of the Santa Cruz Medicinals Products you can use the code METFLEXLIFE for 15% off your order at scmedicinals.com.
In this episode, we dive into all the basics surrounding CBD, understanding how to start with CBD products, how to find quality CBD, the difference between CBD and THC, using CBD to help with anxiety, sleep, stress, and more!
- How to find quality CBD
- A quick equation to use to figure out CBD dosage for yourself
- Facts and myths behind sativa and indica strains
- Two risky elements to look out for in CBD
- Benefits of adding CBD to your coffee
- What is CBD?
- What is the difference between CBD and THC?
- What do you look for if you're looking for quality CBD products? What types are best?
- Does the dosing differ from person to person?
- If you don't feel anything, is it still working?
- Can you explain what the endocannabinoid system is?
- Does CBD have anti-inflammatory properties?
- Will it show up on a job drug screening test?
- Can you take too much CBD?
- Vitamins, minerals, and/or herbal supplements known to improve CBD function?
- I've read that CBD helps with IBS. Is this true?
- Is it good to cycle CBD?
- Have you heard about anyone getting really bad headaches from taking CBD?
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel gives an overview of today’s episode: All Things CBD
- [1:00] A quick overview of today’s episode and questions asked
- [1:30] If you want to check out any of the Santa Cruz Medicinals Products you can use the code METFLEXLIFE for 15% off your order!
- [2:00] If you’re enjoying the show, the best way to help grow it is to leave a review on itunes podcast app or take a screenshot of the episode and tag @rachelgregory.cns if you share to your instagram stories
- [2:30] If you would like to watch the guest episodes check out Rachel’s YouTube Channel
- [3:00] Rachel introduces Brendan Ruh @santacruzmedicinals to the listeners!
- [4:30] Question: What is CBD?
- [7:00] Question: What is the difference between CBD and THC?
- [7:30] The Entourage Effect
- [9:00] Question: What do you look for if you're looking for quality CBD products? What types are best?
- [10:00] Cannabidiol Reduces the Anxiety Induced by Simulated Public Speaking in Treatment-Naïve Social Phobia Patients
- [11:30] Question: Does the dosing differ from person to person?
- [12:00] A systematic review of cannabidiol dosing in clinical populations
- [12:30] A simple equation to use to figure out how much CBD dosage to start with
- [13:30] Question: If you don't feel anything, is it still working?
- [16:30] Question: Can you explain what the endocannabinoid system is?
- [16:30] CB1 Receptors and CB2 Receptors
- [17:30] Sativa vs. Indica
- [18:30] What is a terpene wheel?
- [20:30] Question: Does CBD have anti inflammatory properties?
- [20:30] Cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs
- [24:00] Question: Will it show up on a job drug screening test?
- [24:30] H.R.3884 - Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act of 2019
- [26:00] Proposition 64
- [26:30] Heavy Metals and Pesticides in CBD
- [27:30] Question: Can you take too much CBD?
- [29:30] Adaptogenic Mushrooms
- [30:00] Question: Vitamins, minerals, and/or herbal supplements known to improve CBD function?
- [32:30] Deep Sleep Formula
- [34:30] Question: I've read CBD helps with IBS. Is this true?
- [35:00] Cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs
- [36:30] Question: Is it helpful for adrenal fatigue?
- [39:30] Question: Is it good to cycle CBD?
- [40:30] Question: Have you heard about anyone getting really bad headaches from taking CBD?
- [44:30] Question: What is something that you've changed your mind about in the last year? And why?
- [47:00] Question: Is there anything you've personally been experimenting with? Or implemented lately in your own nutrition, fitness lifestyle that you've noticed benefits from?
- [49:00] Where to start with Santa Cruz Medicinals!
- [51:00] What is CBG?
- [51:30] Launching Santa Cruz Paleo!
- [54:30] You can find Brendan at @santacruzmedicinals and @santacruzpaleo_
- [55:00] If you want to check out any of the Santa Cruz Medicinals Products you can use the code METFLEXLIFE for 15% off your order!
Studies mentioned in this episode:
- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31787910/ -Anxiolytic Effects of Repeated Cannabidiol Treatment in Teenagers With Social Anxiety Disorders
- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21307846/ -Cannabidiol reduces the anxiety induced by simulated public speaking in treatment-naïve social phobia patients
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6326553/ -Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/ -cannabinoids in the management of difficult to treat pain (SOME THC was used in this study)
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7324885/ - The “Entourage Effect”: Terpenes Coupled with Cannabinoids for the Treatment of Mood Disorders and Anxiety Disorders
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts dinner fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips vegetables & sides videos