Episode 97: Pregnancy and Postpartum Wellness with Melissa ParisFeb 16, 2021
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Melissa earned certifications in personal training from the National Academy of Sports Medicine, pre and postnatal, CES, integrated flexibility training, and the TRX system. Melissa has competed in many of the bikini divisions of the National Physique Committee. In order to achieve her optimal physical goals for the competition, she went against the grain of traditional dieting ie: whey protein powders, fat burners, carb-cutting, etc. She incorporated techniques from her unique and healthy lifestyle: an all-natural, organic approach to her nutrition regimen.
Melissa challenges herself and others that there is another way, a healthier way, to reach their maximum potential. Melissa has trained at the exclusive Reebok Sports Club in Manhattan as well as the CORE club and can be seen teaching her classes all over NYC and the Hamptons. Her list of clientele includes some of the most elite entrepreneurs and CEOs in New York City. She works with each client on an individual basis, focusing on achieving long-term results through challenging and varied workouts, as well as focusing on the positive, self-empowerment, and enjoyment aspects of the process.
In this episode, we talk about pre-pregnancy nutrition, debunking pregnancy and postpartum fitness myths, how to strengthen your core postpartum, Melissa’s bodybuilding competition experience and more!
- Three crucial things to implement to prep your body before a baby
- Most effective postpartum core workouts
- Rule of thumb for how many extra calories you need during pregnancy
- Reasons seeing a pelvic floor specialist is a must even if cleared for fitness at 6-8 weeks postpartum
- Are there any specific nutrients that you would say to focus on in that prep phase of pregnancy?
- Are there any deficiencies that you've seen in your practice with women that they need to be aware of before pregnancy or during?
- Can you debunk some of the myths that surround training during pregnancy, and what to look out for during specific trimesters?
- Are there any specific training exercises you should be doing during that 6-week postpartum period?
- Can you debunk some of the myths around core training at a postpartum stage?
- Do you have any tips on stretch marks and loose skin postpartum?
- Can you tell us about your body building competition experience? Were there any pitfalls from your competition experience?
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel gives a brief summary of today’s episode with guest Melissa Paris
- [1:30] If you're enjoying the show share it out by screenshotting an episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show!
- [2:00] Rachel introduces Melissa Paris to the listeners!
- [2:30] Melissa shares how she found her passion within postpartum health/fitness
- [5:00] Myths around pregnancy and nutrition
- [7:30] The Zero Trimester
- [8:00] Question: Are there any specific nutrients that you would say to focus on in that prep phase of pregnancy?
- [9:00] Question: Have you ever seen or worked with anyone who's suffered from gestational diabetes or anything like that?
- [11:00] Question: Are there any deficiencies that you've seen in your practice with women that need to be aware of in terms of whether before pregnancy or during pregnancy?
- [11:30] Vitamin D
- [12:00] Question: Can you debunk some of the myths that surround training during pregnancy, and things to look out for during specific trimesters?
- [16:00] Diastasis recti
- [19:00] Question: Are there any training exercises you can be doing during that six week postpartum period?
- [22:00] Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization
- [22:30] Can you debunk some of the myths around core training at a postpartum stage?
- [22:30] Turkish Get Up Roll
- [25:30] Question: Do you have any tips on stretch marks and loose skin postpartum?
- [27:30] Question: Can you chat about your body building competition experience?
- [33:30] Question: Were there any pitfalls from your competition experience?
- [38:30] Iron Maiden
- [41:00] Question: Is there anything that you've personally changed your mind about in the last year, and why and it can be anything?
- [44:00] If you want to learn more about Melissa’s programs check her out on Instagram @melissaparisfitness, bells-up.tv and her website https://www.melissaparisfitness.com/
- [45:00] If you're enjoying the show share it out by screenshotting an episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show!
- [45:00] Keto For Women DIY program is now live!
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos