Episode 132: Exploring Top Supplements for Sleep, Stress, Exercise, and Immune Health with Shawn WellsSep 24, 2021
Shawn Wells is one of the world’s leading nutritional biochemists and experts on health optimization. He has formulated over 500 supplements, food, beverages, and cosmeceuticals and patented 10 novel ingredients. Formerly a Chief Clinical Dietitian with over a decade of clinical experience, he has counseled thousands of people on innovative health solutions. He has also personally overcome various health issues including Epstein-Barr Virus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, depression, insomnia, obesity, and a pituitary tumor.
As a world-renowned thought-leader on mitochondrial health, his insights have been prominently featured in documentaries, podcasts, and on morning television. His expertise can help any health-conscious individual to better manage stress and experience greater resilience and more energy through utilizing his practical research-backed solutions.
His book, "The ENERGY Formula" has been recognized by both USA Today and Forbes as well as an Amazon best-seller in multiple categories.
In this episode, Shawn and I chat all about his new book “The Energy Formula” and discuss Shawn’s top three supplements for sleep, stress, and exercise. Shawn gives his tips on how to find quality supplements in a saturated market and why he considers sodium to be one of the most underrated, yet powerful tools for performance.
- Three factors to take into consideration when buying a quality supplement
- Two supplements that pair well with melatonin
- One of the most underrated pre-workout supplements
- Benefits to taking Dihydroberberine
- [0:00] Rachel gives a brief introduction of guest Shawn Wells @shawnwells
- [1:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel welcomes guest Shawn Wells
- [2:30] Shawn dives into his background as a nutritional biochemist
- [4:00] The Energy Formula
- [4:00] Question: What would you recommend people look for when seeking out a quality supplement?
- [4:30] Check out www.energyformula.com to listen to the first couple of chapters for free!
- [10:30] What are proprietary blends in supplements?
- [13:00] www.examine.com , www.pubmed.gov
- [19:00] Question: What are your thoughts on melatonin and would you recommend it as a sleep aid?
- [28:00] Can you test your melatonin levels?
- [32:00] If you’re curious about supplements and dosages, check out https://shawnwells.com/ for more info!
- [33:30] Question: Are there any stress-reducing supplements that you take or recommend?
- [35:00] Hormetic Stress: benefits and when it can be too much
- [38:00] Question: Can you talk about the importance of finding the sweet spot between performance vs. recovery?
- [45:00] Question: Do you recommend any pre-workout and post-workout supplements?
- [45:00] Theacrine and Dynamin
- [53:00] Question: Are there any post-workout supplements you stand by?
- [53:30] Dr. Rob Wildman PhD, RD, FISSN
- [1:02:00] Question: What are your top three immune health supplements?
- [1:02:00] Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC)
- [1:03:30] Lysine
- [1:10:00] Question: What about elderberry?
- [1:11:30] Dihydroberberine
- [1:12:30] If you want to check out more from Shawn Wells you can find him at his website https://shawnwells.com/, and on Instagram @shawnwells and his book The Energy Formula is available on his website or amazon
- [1:14:00] Episode 43: All Things PROTEIN with Shawn Wells, Episode 33: Top 5 Supplements Everyone Should Consider with Shawn Wells
- Thanks for listening to another episode! If you’re loving MetFlex and Chill and want to help grow the show, please head over to Itunes and leave a rating and review! How to Leave an Apple Podcast Review: First, Open the podcast app on your iPhone, Mac, or iPad. Then, hit the “Search” tab at the bottom right-hand corner of the page and search for MetFlex and Chill. Select the podcast, scroll down to find the subheading “Ratings & Reviews”. and select “Write a Review.” Next, select the number of stars you’d like to leave. Please choose 5 stars! Using the text box which says “Title,” write a title for your review. Then in the text box, write the review itself. The review can be up to 300 words long, but doesn’t need to be much more than: “Love the show! Thanks!” or “Rachel provides wonderful content from a multitude of expert guests!” Once you’re done select “Send” in the upper right-hand corner.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition