Episode 49: The Unpopular Truth About Building Muscle As A Woman + Organ Meat Chat with Ashleigh VanHoutenSep 01, 2020
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Ashleigh is a health and fitness podcaster, writer, speaker, and self-proclaimed muscle nerd. She has been a writer for Paleo Magazine for seven years, and she hosts the Muscle Maven Radio podcast, interviewing some of the leading minds in exercise and nutrition methodology and ancestral health and wellness. Ashleigh is a nationally ranked natural figure competitor and also dabbles in Strongman, powerlifting, arm wrestling and BJJ, although her biggest hobby is trying to convince people to eat organ meat – she’s written a cookbook called It Takes Guts and it’s available now on Amazon.
In this episode, Ashleigh and I chat about the numerous benefits that come from incorporating organ meats into your diet, the unpopular truth of what it takes to actually build a muscular, ‘toned’ physique, how to be intentional with your goals during the current pandemic..and lots more!
- Debunking the misconceptions of eating organ meats
- How to prioritize your goals mentally, emotionally, and physically during this pandemic
- The unpopular truth behind looking ‘toned’ and gaining muscle for women
- The importance of prioritizing recovery to reach your goals
- [0:00] Rachel dives into what today’s show is all about with guest Ashleigh Vanhouten
- [1:30] Don’t forget to screenshot, tag @rachelgregory.cns, and post to instagram!
- [2:30] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill- Rachel introduces the listeners to Ashleigh Vanhouten @themusclemaven
- [3:30] Episode 3: Building A Confident, Flexible, Badass with Ashleigh VanHouten
- [5:30] Episode 42: Fasting Q&A with Ashleigh VanHouten
- [5:30] Ashleigh gives the listeners a quick background about herself
- [9:00] A dive into Ashleigh’s cookbook: It Takes Guts
- [14:30] Why would you want to eat organ meats?
- [20:00] Where to find good quality organ meats - hint: start local
- [20:30] Online sources: US Wellness Meats, Belcampo, Crowdcow
- [22:30] A misconception behind eating liver and kidneys
- [26:00] The Sacred Cow: Diana Rodgers
- [27:00] Ashleigh's recommendations on which organs are most palatable to start with!
- [35:30] Quarantine positives… yes, it comes down to practicing gratitude!
- [36:30] Quarantine goals: mentally, physically, and emotionally
- [50:30] Rachel chats about her current physique goals around building muscle
- [52:30] Ashleigh’s opinion about gaining weight to build muscle
- [57:30] Instant gratification vs. long term goals for building muscle
- [1:02:00] The importance of recovery after a workout
- [1:07:00] Ashleigh’s book It Takes Guts is on pre order now!
- [1:07:30] You can find Ashleigh on Instagram @themusclemaven, on her website, and if you want to check out her podcast: Muscle Maven Radio!
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts dinner fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle lunch meal prep podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources soups & salads tips vegetables & sides videos