Episode 23: Becoming Energetically Efficient with Kristin RowellJun 02, 2020
Kristin Rowell is a former trial lawyer turned Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. She is an IPE Professional Natural Bodybuilder in the Figure Division, the NANBF’s 2018 Ms. Natural Minnesota (Figure), and she has run 25 marathons. Kristin coaches high-performance individuals, she consults for organizations, and she speaks about nutrition and wellness topics around the country. She helps her clients look better, feel better, and do better.
In this episode, we talk about nutrition protocols for marathon and bodybuilding training, the importance of protein, the importance of having a coach, and the life-changing benefits of mindfulness practices!
Episode Top Takeaways:
- Neglecting fat for fuel is a big no-no for marathon training.
- Even coaches need coaches!
- Protein is key for feeling full on any diet, and becomes even more important as we age.
- Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.killinitketo.com/newsletter
- [4:30] While working as a trial lawyer, Kristin trained for and ran her first marathon, and she immediately caught the marathon “bug”
- [7:00] Kristin suffered a fall which left her leg broken in 10 places, which drew her attention toward her nutritional health and she began questioning the typically prescribed runner’s diet.
- [8:45] When Kirsten switched from carb fueling to fat fueling she experienced the best health benefits and athletic performance of her life so far.
- [10:00] Kristin competed in her first bodybuilding competition in 2017, she shortly thereafter quit working as a lawyer to pursue fitness coaching and competing full time.
- [12:30] Kristin shares what it's like to train and prepare for a bodybuilding competition.
- [16:30] Metabolic flexibility vs. 24/7 ketosis
- [20:30] Effects of a ketogenic diet on the menstrual cycle
- [24:00] Why hiring a coach is a game-changer
- [28:30] Coaching is good for physical and mental health
- [30:50] Kristin and Rachel talk morning routines (complete version of Rachel’s morning routine in her podcast HERE)
- [34:30] Kristin recommends Stillness Is The Key for meditation and The Five Minute Journal for a morning routine
- [38:00] Kristin’s fasting protocol
- [44:00] The potential pitfalls involved with extended or frequent fasting.
- [49:00] Protein, specifically animal protein, satiates like nothing else.
- [52:00] Protein is one of the three macronutrients the body needs
- [60:00] Kristin is launching her first online course which will cover Kristin’s method of success, individualized macronutrient balancing, alcohol, fasting, meditation, and Q&A!
Listen to the full episode HERE.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition