Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
I've been on a casserole kick lately for my weekly lunch prep and it's been awesome! I typically always eat the same lunch Monday-Friday because it makes prep and sticking to my goals SO much easier. I also make sure that my lunch is something that's super satisfying, delicious, and filling so that it doesn't get boring to me and I actually look forward to eating it every day.
This buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole DEFINITELY checks all of those boxes and will for sure be a recurring meal prep staple for months to come.
Originally I planned to divide the casserole into 6 servings, but after calculating the macros and realizing how low-calorie this dish was, I decided to divide it into 4 instead. You can adjust the macros and servings to your preference of course. Either way, the serving size will be BIG and SATISFYING and DELICIOUS while still being low-er in carbs AND calories.
50 mins Cook Time:
45 mins Total Time
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (mine came out to be a total of 1000 grams after cooking and removing seeds and skin)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1, 12-ounce package (about 3 cups) frozen cut green beans
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/4 cup bone broth (you could use water or nut milk if you don't have bone broth on hand)
- 120 mL Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 packet (~30 grams or 3 tablespoons) Ranch style seasoning (I used Primal Palate Garden Ranch Seasoning Mix that I purchased from Thrive Market)
- You can follow THIS LINK for 25% off your first Thrive Market order
- 1/2 tablespoon gelatin (Optional, but helps the casserole come together more when baked - I use Further Food brand)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (I always use Redmond Real Salt)
- First, cook the spaghetti squash. There are several different methods for how to do this, and cooking times will differ depending on the size of your squash. I usually pick one of the following methods:
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and place face down on a lined baking sheet in a 400 F oven. Cook for 30-40 minutes or until flesh is soft. Remove from oven and let cool before removing the flesh with a fork.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1-inch slits all around the spaghetti squash. Put the entire spaghetti squash in your instant pot and cook on high pressure for ~20 minutes. Once cooked, carefully remove the squash (it will be very hot) and cut it in half to cool. Once cooled, remove seeds and shred flesh with a fork into spaghetti strands.
- Tip - spaghetti squash tends to get watery after it's cooked. I like to remove the flesh into a colander and let it sit for ~10 minutes to drain off the excess water. Too much water will make your casserole soggy. Nobody likes soggy casseroles 😅
- While the squash is cooling, make the chicken/green bean mixture and sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375 F, if not preheated already.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add butter and ground chicken and cook for about 3-5 minutes, just until chicken starts to turn white. Then add frozen green beans and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit while you make the sauce (or if you're good at multi-tasking, make the sauce while the chicken and green beans are cooking).
- To make the sauce, add cream cheese and bone broth to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 10-second increments until cream cheese is melted. Then whisk in hot sauce, ranch seasoning, gelatin, salt, and garlic powder mix until well combined.
- In a large bowl (like really large), add chicken/green bean mixture, cooked spaghetti squash, and sauce. Mix until everything completely combined and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and let cool completely (about an hour) before cutting into desired portions.
- Instead of ground chicken and frozen green beans, you could use pre-cooked shredded chicken and steamed fresh green beans. Ground chicken and frozen green beans is what I had on hand in my freezer.
- Optional toppings: parmesan or other cheese, nutritional yeast, chopped green onions, more hot sauce.
Nutrition Per Serving (when cut into 4 portions): 287 Calories, 7g Fat, 31g Protein, 25g Carbs, 7g Fiber
Nutrition Per Serving (when cut into 6 portions): 188 Calories, 4g Fat, 21g Protein, 17g Carbs, 4g Fiber