Caramelized Onion, Bacon, Cheddar TartDec 13, 2020
What’s better on Christmas morning than a savory, delicious breakfast? You can make this scrumptious crustless tart up to 5 days in advance and then just re-heat it so you don’t have to detract from any Christmas morning festivities. This rich and meaty tart will melt your heart as it melts in your mouth!
Makes 8 Servings
- 6 slices of bacon, roughly chopped
- 7 ounces ham, chopped
- 2 medium (~22 ounces) Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1 carton (~460 grams) egg whites
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, fry the chopped bacon until crisp. Then remove to a paper towel to drain. Reserve 2 TBSP bacon grease.
- Using the reserved bacon grease, cook the thinly sliced onion over medium-low to medium heat, stirring occasionally until significantly reduced and light caramel in color…approximately 40-60 min. Be careful not to burn the onions. Once onions are fully carnalized, remove to a paper towel to absorb any excess grease and cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease a pie plate (deep dish or 2 regular pie plates)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, and cream. Then add the ham, cheese, cooled bacon, and cooled onions mixing well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared pie plate (or 2 depending on size) and bake uncovered for 30 min or until the tart is set and golden brown on top.
- Serve with a side of bacon or ham. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. In the freezer for up to a month.
Nutrition Per Serving: 259 Calories, 15g Fat, 22g Protein, 9g Carbs, 1g Fiber, 8g Net Carbs
Notes: Feel free to add veggies such as chopped asparagus, spinach, broccoli, etc. during step 2 when you are caramelizing the onions.
You could also make individual tarts in a muffin pan!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle lunch meal prep miniflex muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition youtube