Episode 18: Carb Ups, Carb Cycling and Building an Anti-Fragile MetabolismMay 15, 2020
In this episode, I'm answering questions about carb ups and carb cycling, their benefits in maintaining metabolic flexibility, and how you can help avoid some of the possible side effects of a strict, long-term Ketogenic Diet.
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
Episode Top Takeaways:
- Carb ups and carb cycling can potentially help you avoid the three main drawbacks Rachel outlines in this episode when following a very low-carb, ketogenic diet indefinitely.
- Insulin is not the devil, but constantly elevated levels of insulin can lead to chronic inflammation and many other issues.
- Body signs that you may want to try a carb-up.
- Monthly, Weekly, and Daily carb-up options.
- Taking a month off Keto, but still eating clean carbs, is another possible way to improve metabolic flexibility once an individual's body has already adjusted to fat adaptation.
- [0:58] Info on Rachel’s new weekly Newsletter
- [2:30] First Question, Is carb cycling a way to get Metabolically Flexible?
- [3:32] Metabolic Flexibility benefits outlined
- [4:33] Keto is a fantastic diet, but it may have three main drawbacks when used strictly for years and years without a ‘break’
- [5:36] First possible drawback, loss of enzymes and gut bacteria.
- [6:36] Second possible drawback, chronically low insulin
- [8:27] Insulin has many vital functions when present in proper amounts
- [9:30] Third possible drawback, carb phobia (psychological impact).
- [11:04] Signs and symptoms you could use a carb-up.
- [11:35] Podcast with Ali Miller on Chronically low leptin levels.
- [13:42] How many carbs and how often for a carb-up?
- [14:08] Monthly carb-up options for women
- [17:08] Weekly carb-up options
- [18:24] Daily or Pre/Post Workout carb-up options
- [21:44] Details on the incorporation of carbs pre/post-workout in terms of recovery
- [25:35] Second Question, Coming off of Keto for one month of moderate carbs then going back on Keto. Beneficial?
- [29:42] Outro and closing thoughts, Rachel's Instagram
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Rachel Gregory Refeed Episode
- Rachel Gregory YouTube Channel
- Podcast about Women’s Health with Ali Miller
- Keto for Women
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition