Episode 116: Keto For Women with Dr. Jaime SeemanJun 04, 2021
In this episode we talk about the benefits of following a ketogenic/low carb diet during pregnancy, how resistance training helps fight metabolic disease, the benefits of following a higher protein ketogenic approach, how menopause affects fat loss, the basics of birth control, and much more!
“Women are not small men. We have very complex biological features. I’m on a crusade to fix pregnancy nutrition and to fix nutrition for women.” Dr. Jaime Seeman
- Myth busted: you don’t need to be overweight to be prediabetic- educate yourself before assuming
- Looking at pregnancy as two stages: anabolic and catabolic
- Dr. Jaime’s recommendations on eating during pregnancy
- Benefits of fasting during perimenopause and menopause
- Pro’s and Con’s to natural family planning
- Is Keto/Low-Carb safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?
- Would you recommend a high protein ketogenic approach specifically with pregnant women?
- What's your view on following a stricter ketogenic diet versus implementing carb ups for women specifically?
- Can women lose weight during/after menopause?
- What are your views on birth control and recommendations for natural family planning?
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Today’s episode is a relaunch episode with Dr. Jaime Seeman @doctorfitandfabulous
- [1:00] Rachel gives listeners a brief bio of Dr. Jaime Seeman’s background
- [2:30] Rachel introduces guest Dr. Jaime Seeman @doctorfitandfabulous to the listeners
- [3:30] Dr. Jaime Seeman dives into her background being an OBGYN and also a certified ketogenic nutrition specialist
- [4:30] Doctor Fit and Fabulous
- [6:30] “I wasn't morbidly obese.I didn't have a lot of other health problems, but on the inside, you never know what's going on unless you test. And here I was a medical doctor with a nutrition degree. And I had prediabetes” Dr. Jaime Seeman
- [10:00] Question: Is Keto/Low carb safe for Pregnant or Breastfeeding women?
- [12:00] Adaptations during pregnancy, hormonal shifts
- [13:00] First part of pregnancy is anabolic, Mom starts storing energy for later, usually an increase in insulin sensitivity.
- [14:30] “Trust me, if ketosis killed pregnancies we wouldn't see many women in the second trimester.” JS
- [14:30] Second part of pregnancy is catabolic, the body breaks down to feed the baby, usually a decrease in insulin sensitivity, leptin resistance
- [17:00] “Glucose crosses the placenta but insulin doesn’t” JS
- [19:30] Carbs and pregnancy truth
- [21:00] “Why don't we keep these patients where they have normal glycemia? Let's eat carbs to normal glycemia because we know that the other direction does cause a significant amount of harm.” JS
- [22:30] Ketosis is a very safe state for growing babies
- [25:00] Question: Would you recommend a high protein ketogenic approach specifically with pregnant women?
- [27:30] A low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet combined with six weeks of crossfit training improves body composition and performance
- [29:00] Having lean muscle mass helps fight metabolic disease
- [29:30] “Exercise to build, not to lose.” RG
- [30:30] Question: What's your view on following a stricter ketogenic diet versus implementing carb ups for women specifically?
- [31:30] Five pillars to metabolic health
- [34:30] Benefits of reincorporating whole food carbs into your diet
- [35:00] “A woman’s menstrual cycle is the fifth vital sign.” If a woman doing keto loses her menstrual cycle, that means there is a problem, something is not working
- [37:00] “Ketosis is a metabolic state, not just a diet.” RG
- [40:00] “For the vast majority of women, I don’t think that zero carb is the best thing.” Dr Jaime on the benefit of metabolic flexibility.
- [42:00] Question: Can women lose weight during/after menopause?
- [43:00] Perimenopause or Menopause is a huge metabolic and hormonal shift in a woman’s body
- [46:30] Birth control, what is it really doing to a woman’s hormones?
- [47:30] “The birth control pill is overprescribed for issues not related to contraception” and have many side effects that may outweigh the perceived benefits
- [49:30] The Other Pill
- [52:00] Question: What’s your recommendation on natural family planning?
- [54:30] Advocate for yourself… know the why behind what is going on
- [56:30] Episode 1: Raising MetFlex Kids, Dual Fuel, & Keto Carnivore with Danny and Maura Vega
- [1:00:00] If you’re interested in learning more about Dr. Jaime Seeman check her out @doctorfitandfabulous on IG, on YouTube @ Doctor Fit and Fabulous or her website https://www.doctorfitandfabulous.com/
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos