Episode 34: Breaking Fat Loss Plateaus and Becoming A Metabolically Flexible Badass with Kristin AndelJul 10, 2020
Today’s special guest is Kristin Andel, a member of Rachel’s MetFlex Tribe. If you're not familiar with the MetFlex Tribe, it's made up of the women who have gone through the Keto For Women program and are now thriving as metabolically flexible badasses!
To learn more about the Keto For Women program and join the waitlist for the next round, visit https://www.metflexlife.com/keto-for-women
Kristin is a proud fur mama and wife, and has been living the low-carb lifestyle for nearly 2 years. She is a landscape architect and development planner by day, and a water-loving, pole fitness enthusiast by night. She holds a master’s degree in Urban Planning from UC-Irvine and is the co-owner of a Rhode Island Based Stand up paddle board lesson and tour company with her husband.
Kristin enjoys all fitness by sea, land, and air. She is a competitive amateur SUP racer and has competed nationally in amateur Pole competitions, and also loves performing at local charity events and festivals. When she is not in the air, in the water, or designing, you can find her in the kitchen experimenting with her newfound appreciation for carbs and a MetFlex lifestyle!
In this episode, Kristin and Rachel talk about Kristin’s experience in Rachel’s Keto for Women Program, the importance of adjusting your goals at certain stages, and the downsides of long-term ketogenic diets.
- The importance of having a coach, and an accountability group
- A Ketogenic lifestyle often starts with a honeymoon period, but it can be followed by some unwanted side effects
- Using calorie cycling as a tool for fat loss and paying attention to weekly caloric intake
- Why fasting can be too much of stressor for some women
- Ignoring your daily scale fluctuations and focusing on weekly averages
- You can’t be in a deficit forever
- [0:30] Rachel’s 12 week Keto for Women program
- [5:00] Don’t forget to leave a review, and share screenshots!
- [7:30] Will Rachel be adding to her family? With a FUR BABY?!
- [8:00] How did Kirstin first get interested in a low-carb lifestyle?
- [12:00] A 6-mile stand up paddle board race and Kristin’s first Bulletproof Coffee
- [15:00] ...and then about 6 months in. The halo effect of keto started to wear off and side effects started to kick in
- [20:00] The Keto Savage Podcast! And MetFlex and Chill with Lady Savage; coming soon.
- [23:00] For women, with low-body fat, fasting can be too much of a stressor
- [24:00] The main takeaways from Kristin’s experience with the Keto for Women program
- [26:00] a planned Metabolic Reset and enjoying carbs after a long period of a strict ketogenic diet
- [28:30] “Learning how the scale doesn't matter… but it kind of matters!” Ignoring your daily weigh-ins and focusing on your weekly averages
- [36:00] “You can’t be in a deficit forever” and the importance of continuing to change your goals as you progress
- [40:00] Calorie cycling and looking at calories on a weekly basis instead of a solely on a daily basis
- [42:00] PSMF - Protein Sparing Modified Fast
- [43:00] “But one thing that I noticed, and I think has kind of helped me stick to it, and not gain the weight back is that we gradually increased me to maintenance.”
- [44:00] the MetFlex Tribe! Rachel’s group of Super Women that support each other in their nutrition, exercise, and life goals.
- [44:30] One example of a Keto for Women Program mindset challenge: Create a journal
- [46:00] Hunger Hacks Protein Focused recipe book
- [48:00] “...you don't have to do it alone. And you will get so much better results if you get support”
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts dinner fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle lunch meal prep podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources soups & salads tips vegetables & sides videos