Episode 5: Lies My Doctor Told Me with Dr. Ken BerryMar 27, 2020
Dr. Ken Berry is a practicing board-certified physician, an Amazon Best Selling author, and a passionate advocate of health on his YouTube channel where he has over 1 million subscribers. Along with his online presence, he is active in his own community of Camden Tennessee where he has been practicing at The Berry Clinic since 2003.
Dr. Berry is known for his direct, no-nonsense approach to health and wellness. This year, Dr. Berry released a second edition of his best selling book Lies My Doctor Told Me. He is also in the process of writing his second book and he looks forward to working with the real people of the world in continuing his mission to bring an end to the obesity and Type II diabetes epidemics, along with bringing more awareness to issues such as thyroid health and hormone optimization.
GIVEAWAY for today’s episode is brought to you by Keto Brick & Live Savage
3 winners will EACH receive a one week variety pack of Keto Bricks, a Live Savage apparel t-shirt, and a stainless steel shaker bottle! Robert and Crystal Sikes are two of my best friends and the founders of Keto Brick & Live Savage apparel. Their products and apparel are top-notch quality and I know you’re going to love them as much as I do!
- Subscribe to the MetFlex & Chill podcast
- Leave a rating and a review mentioning something you learned or took away from this episode.
- *Note: If you have already left a rating and review for a previous episode, you can still enter this giveaway by taking a screenshot of the episode, posting it in your Instagram story, and tagging @rachelgregory.cns for a chance to win!
In this episode, we discuss the truth about sunscreen, red meat and cancer, salt and high blood pressure, dairy, hormone replacement therapy, fat loss and hypothyroidism, and Metabolic Flexibility!
“Human beings are supposed to eat low-carb by definition, that's not just a fad or the latest thing, that's actually in our genes.” Dr. Ken Berry
Episode Top Takeaways:
- Approach a health topic from a view of common sense
- The autoimmune response to the foods we eat is important to consider in cancer growth
- Low thyroid function can absolutely affect fat loss efforts
- Doctors have your best interest in mind but YOU need to take responsibility to research and be your own advocate.
- [0:18] Dr. Ken Berry backstory and general info
- [1:36] Lies My Doctor Told Me book
- [2:12] Dr. Ken’s 3 Tests
- [3:36] Sun exposure, truth about sunscreen, and melanoma cancer
- [8:13] Dr. Ken’s theory on what is causing skin cancer, and the autoimmune response to certain foods
- [11:41] Red meat, does it cause cancer? How are studies performed and approved
- [16:30] Food frequency questionnaires, are they reliable?
- [18:55] Salt/sodium phobia, and heart health. Humans need salt to function, we are salty mammals, do not be afraid of salt
- [21:50] Quality of salt, modern evaporated ocean salt is full of pollutants, ancient salts are better for us as humans
- [26:19] Iodine in salt? A better natural way to get Iodine in your diet is from seafood, 24 urine best test for Iodine level if a person wants to know
- [28:13] Dairy, good for adults? What does milk do to your body? Is it normal to be lactose intolerant as an adult?
- [33:00] There is a naturally addictive substance in dairy, proteins in dairy mimic endorphins
- [36:18] Hypothyroidism, low thyroid function makes fat loss incredibly slow, TSH is not enough of a check on its own, a full thyroid panel is needed
- [38:20] Desiccated thyroid supplement, naturally has T4 and T3
- [40:30] “It all really comes back to chronic inflammation and chronic hyperinsulinemia as the cause of every chronic disease in humans right now.”
- [41:00] Myths on Cholesterol, your body makes 70% to 80% of daily cholesterol needed
- [43:29] Thoughts from Dr. Ken on Metabolic Flexibility and current metabolic state of Americans
- [49:27] Dr. Ken’s advice on how to start down the path to better health. Do your own research, be your own advocate, then give something a try for three months (low carb, Keto, Carnivore). Also, your doctor is a partner not your parent, second opinions are important
- [55:30] Wrap up, Dr. Ken Berry speaking dates, second book coming soon, the “Proper Human Diet”
Listen to the full episode HERE.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts dinner fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips vegetables & sides videos