Episode 61: All Things CARNIVORE with Dr. Paul SaladinoOct 13, 2020
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Dr. Paul Saladino is the leading authority on the science and application of the carnivore diet. He has used this diet to reverse autoimmune issues, chronic inflammation, and mental health issues in hundreds of patients, many of whom had been told their conditions were untreatable.
He is the host of the popular Fundamental Health podcast and the author of the bestselling book, The Carnivore Code. Dr. Saladino is board certified as a Physician Nutrition Specialist and in psychiatry and completed residency at the University of Washington. He lives in Austin, TX and can frequently be found exploring wild places when he is not writing, researching, or working with clients.
In this episode, we talk about how to successfully approach the carnivore diet, how to reincorporate carbs after long term strict carnivore, the value of honey, the plant toxicity spectrum and much more!
- Common misconceptions around fiber
- Limiting linoleic acids in your diet starts with these types of oils
- Top five foods to avoid high in linoleic acid
- Top five foods to consume high in stearic acid
- Dr. Saladino’s recommendation on fish oil
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel gives a brief bio of today’s guest Dr. Paul Saladino @carnivoremd
- [0:30] This episode includes how to successfully approach the carnivore diet and how to re-incorporate carbs back into your diet after being carnivore
- [1:00] Shout out to our sponsor NOW Foods for the month of October!
- [2:00] Rachel’s NOW Foods must haves!
- [3:30] If you want to check out NOW Foods HERE! Use the code METFLEXLIFENOW10 for $10 off a $40 purchase
- [4:00] Rachel introduces guest Dr. Paul Saladino to the listeners
- [4:30] Dr. Saladino breaks down his medical background along with his passion for exploring the world and nature
- [6:30] Known also as the ‘Carnivore Doctor’
- [7:30] A quick summary of Dr. Saladino’s five tiers of how to approach the carnivore diet
- [7:30] The Carnivore Code
- [17:00] Breakdown of common misconceptions around fiber
- [21:00] Stopping or reducing dietary fiber intake reduces constipation and its associated symptoms
- [25:00] Question: Do you think carnivore works as well for women as it does for men? And can it cause hormone issues?
- [26:30] Fundamental Health
- [31:00] Dr. Saladino’s view on metabolic flexibility-specifically going from one side of the spectrum (strict carnivore or keto)
- [34:30] Question: Do you really eat honey? A deepdive into reintroducing this carbohydrate!
- [43:30] Question: What are your thoughts on pork rinds health wise?
- [45:30] Linoleic acid and why it makes you fat
- [52:00] Question: What are the top five foods high in linoleic acid versus stearic acid? The ones that you want to avoid for linoleic acid and top five, you'd want to start consuming more of for stearic acid.
- [55:00] Question: Is fish oil necessary when eating nose to tail?
- [57:30] Question: Do you include fish in your diet at all?
- [1:00:30] Question: What’s your take on loose stools on carnivore and how to reintroduce veggies if one doesn't want to be a carnivore forever?
- [1:02:30] Question: Is there a spectrum for toxic to least toxic plants?
- [1:03:00] The Carnivore Code
- [1:04:00] Question: What is something that you've changed your mind about in the last year? And why?
- [1:07:00] If you’re curious about Dr. Saladino’s work check out his website www.heartandsoilsupplements.com and on Instagram @carnivoremd
- [1:07:00] If you’re enjoying the show please share as it will help grow the show! Tag Rachel @rachelgregory.cns if you screenshot an episode and add it to your story
- [1:07:30] Thank you Now foods for sponsoring the show for the month of October! If you want to check out NOW Foods HERE! Use the code METFLEXLIFENOW10 for $10 off a $40 purchase
Studies mentioned on honey:
- Substituting Honey for Refined Carbohydrates Protects Rats from Hypertriglyceridemic and Prooxidative Effects of Fructose
- Effect of honey in preventing gingivitis and dental caries in patients undergoing orthodontic treatment
- Antibacterial Activity of Honey on Cariogenic Bacteria
- Effect of Ethiopian multiflora honey on fluconazole-resistant Candida species isolated from the oral cavity of AIDS patients
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition