Episode 63: Principles & Methods For Building Muscle with Danny VegaOct 20, 2020
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Native of Miami, Florida, Danny is the co-host of the Fat Fueled Family podcast with his wife Maura Vega. Danny received his bachelor’s degree in political science from Columbia University and his Master’s of Science in Human Performance from the University of Florida.
With their podcast and the Fat Fueled Family blog, Danny and his wife Maura hope to spread their love for nutrition and fitness to other families who have the same goals of raising their kids to thrive and setting them up for a lifetime of success.
In this episode we dive deep into building muscle, how to match your training goals to your diet, the importance of investing in a coach, perfecting your form in the gym to maximize results and more!
- In terms of building muscle: Where should I start? How much lifting and how much cardio?
- What are types of progressive overload to build muscle?
- How often do you need to switch up a lifting routine so that you don't plateau?
- Is there a reasonable amount of fat gain while trying to build muscle?
- How do you build significant muscle on a low carb diet?
- What's a good post workout meal if you're following a keto diet?
- I have adrenal fatigue, and I've read that it's better to exercise before noon, for cortisol levels. Any truth behind that?
- What is one thing that you've changed your mind about in the past year? Why?
- Danny’s recommended ‘cardio base’ to pair with building muscle
- The importance of committing to a fitness program/coach versus program hopping
- How to ensure your workouts are balanced to avoid injury
- Tips on post workout meals to reap maximum muscle building benefits
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel introduces Danny Vega @dannyvega.ms back to the show! Danny first appeared on the show early on if you’re interested check out Episode 1: Raising MetFlex Kids, Dual Fuel, & Keto Carnivore with Danny and Maura Vega
- [1:30] Shout out to our sponsor NOW Foods for the month of October!
- [2:00] Rachel’s NOW Foods must haves! Especially now that Puppy Lilo has arrived ;)
- [3:30] Using adaptogens to help alleviate stress
- [5:00] If you want to check out NOW Foods Click HERE! Use the code METFLEXLIFENOW10 for $10 off a $40 purchase
- [6:00] Welcome back! Rachel introduces Danny Vega @dannyvega.ms to the listeners
- [7:00] Danny gives a brief bio about himself and how he transformed his passion into a career
- [8:30] Suzanne Venker
- [11:00] Question: In terms of building muscle: Where should I start? How much lifting and how much cardio?
- [14:30] Episode 56: Clearing Up The Cardio Confusion: Implementing Cardio for Fat Loss, Performance, and Overall Health
- [16:00] Question: What are types of progressive overload to build muscle?
- [24:30] Film yourself! It’s important to see your form and your body position to ensure you are doing the exercises correctly
- [26:00] Question: How often do you need to switch up a lifting routine so that you don't plateau?
- [28:00] Brett Contreras book
- [30:30] “Principles are few, methods are many”
- [36:00] Question: Is there a reasonable amount of fat gain while trying to build muscle?
- [47:30] Tara Garrison: “Muscles are calorie absorbers”
- [49:00] Question: How do you build significant muscle on a low carb diet?
- [55:30] Question: What's a good post workout meal if you're following a keto diet?
- [56:00] Eat to Evolve
- [54:30] What is the anabolic window?
- [1:01:00] Question: I have adrenal fatigue, and I've read that it's better to exercise before noon, for cortisol levels. Any truth behind that?
- [1:05:30] Question: What is one thing that you've changed your mind about in the past year? Why?
- [1:08:00] You can find Danny on instagram @dannyvega.ms or on their website www.fatfueled.family
- [1:09:00] Thanks for listening to another MetFlex and Chill episode! If you have any questions please feel free to message me on instagram @rachelgregory.cns or email me [email protected]e.com and If you want to check out NOW Foods Click HERE! Use the code METFLEXLIFENOW10 for $10 off a $40 purchase
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for free recipes, exercise tips, nutrition advice, product discounts, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss fitness program keto basics keto for women lifestyle meal prep miniflex muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes tips transformations vegetables & sides workout nutrition