Episode 1: Raising MetFlex Kids, Dual Fuel, & Keto Carnivore with Danny and Maura VegaMar 23, 2020
Natives of Miami, Florida, Danny and Maura Vega are the cohosts of the Fat Fueled Family podcast. Danny received his bachelor’s degree in political science from Columbia University and his Master’s of Science in Human Performance from the University of Florida.
Maura has always had a strong passion for dance. She was classically trained in Ballet, Jazz, and Contemporary and has had the great privilege of taking master classes at the world-renown Millennium Complex in Los Angeles, California with the likes of Wade Robson and other popular choreographers.
With their podcast and Fat Fueled Family blog, Danny and Maura hope to spread their love for nutrition and fitness to other families who have the same goals of raising their kids to thrive and setting them up for a lifetime of success.
In this episode, we talk about raising kids with Metabolic Flexibility in mind, the concept of dual-fuel, and Keto Carnivore!
“You don’t know, what you don’t know!”
GIVEAWAY for today’s episode is brought to you by UCAN:
3 winners will EACH receive an entire tub of UCAN, a box of UCAN bars, a box of Hydrate electrolyte powder, and a blender bottle! UCAN Superstarch is a slow-releasing complex carb that gives a steady release of energy and helps avoid the spike & crash that might come from other carb sources. Personally, I’ve noticed a significant boost in my performance (especially towards the end of my workouts) when incorporating UCAN. I like that it’s NOT just another stimulant and allows me to get through my lifting sessions without feeling drained at the end.
- Subscribe to the MetFlex & Chill podcast
- Leave a rating and a review mentioning something you learned or took away from this episode.
- *Note: If you have already left a rating and review for a previous episode, you can still enter this giveaway by taking a screenshot of the episode, posting it in your Instagram story, and tagging @rachelgregory.cns for a chance to win!
Episode Top Takeaways:
- Why kids should be raised as fat burners instead of sugar burners
- The difference between Keto and Carnivore
- The mental health benefits of the Carnivore Diet
- How carb cycling can benefit workouts and hormones
- The power of being ‘Dual Fueled’
- [3:00] Danny and Maura started Paleo and then transitioned into Keto
- [3:30] Teaching the Fat Fueled Kids the importance of eating right
- [5:20] Mealtime with the Fat Fueled Family
- [6:35] MyFitnessPal to track the whole families meals
- [9:50] Growing up with Gatorade in the home
- [10:35] Vegan for kids? NO!
- [11:30] Keto Carnivore!
- [12:35] How Amber O’Hearn (@KetoCarnivore) inspired Danny to start Carnivore in 2017
- [14:20] “The difference between Keto and Carnivore, in my experience, was greater than the difference between my old Standard American Diet and Keto”
- [14:50] Maura’s experience transitioning from Keto to Carnivore
- [16:30] Food intolerance and vomiting after eating salads
- [17:35] The mental health benefits of the Carnivore Diet
- [19:40] “3-4 weeks in, I felt… This must be what happy people feel like”
- [20:15] Using carbs appropriately to help with your Feminine Cycle
- [20:40] NowLeap Mediator Release (blood)Test for food intolerance
- [22:45] Testing Inflammatory Cytokines
- [27:00] Bok Choy - an underestimated vegetable
- [29:30] Danny’s experiments adding carbs after workouts
- [31:00] Glucose intolerance and the inability to use Glucose as fuel
- [34:10] For Danny and Maura, they cycle carbs into their diet twice per month
- [35:30] Healthy carbohydrates and their positive effects on menstruation
- [39:00] Metabolic Flexibility and the Dual Fuel concept
- [40:30] “You don’t know, what you don’t know!”
- [42:45] Metabolic stress, cortisol, and adding healthy carbs to help rebalance
- [44:15] Keto for Crossfit
- [47:15] If Danny and Maura were stranded on an island… what’s the one thing they would bring?
- [49:30] TIKTOK?
- Fatfueled.family and the Fat Fueled Merch
- Fat Fueled Programs!
Listen to the full episode HERE.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for free recipes, exercise tips, nutrition advice, product discounts, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss fitness program keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle lunch meal prep miniflex muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition youtube