Episode 2: The Truth About Cholesterol with Dr. Bret ScherMar 24, 2020
Dr. Bret Scher is a board certified cardiologist practicing for fifteen years and has recently become the medical director for DietDoctor.com where he focuses on reframing the narrative of health to include low-carb diets. Dr. Scher has gone beyond traditional medical training and obtained certifications in functional medicine, behavior change, nutrition, and personal training. He is the author of Your Best Health Ever, and he hosts The Diet Doctor Podcast.
GIVEAWAY for today’s episode is brought to you by Purity Coffee
1 winner will receive a FULL YEAR subscription of FREE coffee! I absolutely love Purity Coffee because it's pesticide-free, organic, and tested to ensure it's free of mold and mycotoxins. They deliver right to your door every month!
- Subscribe to the MetFlex & Chill podcast
- Leave a rating and a review mentioning something you learned or took away from this episode.
- *Note: If you have already left a rating and review for a previous episode, you can still enter this giveaway by taking a screenshot of the episode, posting it in your Instagram story, and tagging @rachelgregory.cns for a chance to win!
“Not all science is created equal and not all low carb/keto diets are created equal either.”
Episode Top Takeaways:
- What lab tests you should actually pay attention to.
- Why your total cholesterol number is virtually meaningless.
- Saturated fats are not the devil many people believe.
- Why the cholesterol you eat is not equal to the cholesterol in your body.
- Why metabolic flexibility is important for cardiovascular health.
- [3:50] When Dr. Bret began suggesting the Ketogenic diet instead of medication for Diabetes
- [4:40] “Deprescribing was not a word that I had ever used before”
- [5:30] The most important lab metrics for blood testing
- [6:21] “Total cholesterol is close to meaningless...”
- [8:15] “If you are metabolically healthy, your LDL particles are going to look and behave differently than if you are not metabolically healthy”
- [8:50] Low carb and Ketogenic diets are the most powerful intervention for changing the size and density of your LDL and naturally raising HDL, while lowering Triglycerides
- [10:00] Advanced Lipid testing
- [11:30] Coronary Artery Calcium Score or “CAC” helpful in indication of possible future cardiovascular event
- [14:34] LDL measure used in combination with “CAC” in relation to trying a Keto Diet
- [15:16] Why LDL may go up after change on a Keto Diet
- [18:00] “On a low carb or Keto Diet insulin naturally goes down.”
- [19:20] Hyper Responder
- [21:32] Benefits of low carb/Keto Diet vary from person to person
- [24:00] Lowering LDL on a low carb diet
- [25:18] Saturated Fats, are they the devil?
- [28:37] How to test quality of scientific study GRADE
- [31:00] Can you fight popular misinformation/trends about diet?
- [33:50] “Not all science is created equal and not all low carb/keto diets are created equal either”
- [34:08] Eggs and Cholesterol, is the yoke really bad for you?
- [38:10] The bodies relation to fats and cholesterols is more complicated than 1+1 = 2
- [39:00] Information on factory manufactured cooking oils
- [44:08] American Heart Association’s “Heart Healthy Label”
- [46:18] Metabolic flexibility, cycling carbs on a Ketogenic Diet
- [49:25] “CGM” Continuous Glucose Monitoring Device
- [55:39] Outro
Listen to the full episode HERE.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts dinner fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips vegetables & sides videos