Episode 6: Women’s Health and Related Keto Issues Specific to Women with Dr. Jaime Seeman
Dr. Jaime Seeman (https://www.doctorfitandfabulous.com/), Instagram (@doctorfitandfabulous)
Dr Jaime Seeman is a board certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing in Omaha, Nebraska. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition, Exercise and Health Sciences. She went to graduate medical school and completed her OB GYN residency at The University of Nebraska Medical Center. Dr. Seeman is currently in private practice at Mid City OBGYN offering a full range of services in obstetrics, gynecology, robotic surgery and primary care.
Dr. Seeman is also a fellow in Integrative Medicine at The University of Arizona School of Medicine and a board certified ketogenic nutrition specialist through The American Nutrition Association. She has a passion for fitness, preventative medicine and ketogenic therapy not only in her medical practice but in her own life. She is married to her husband Ben, a police Sergeant and has three young daughters.
GIVEAWAY for today’s episode is brought to you by Eat To Evolve
3 winners will EACH receive a FREE Box of Evolve meals (over $100 value). If you’re looking for a meal delivery service, Evolve is the best option I’ve found thus far. I’m not usually one to order pre-made meals, but the first time I tried this service, I was super impressed with the quality of the ingredients and the taste! And they have tons of paleo, keto, and Whole 30 options!
- Subscribe to the MetFlex & Chill podcast
- Leave a rating and a review mentioning something you learned or took away from this episode.
- *Note: If you have already left a rating and review for a previous episode, you can still enter this giveaway by taking a screenshot of the episode, posting it in your Instagram story, and tagging @rachelgregory.cns for a chance to win!
In this episode we talk about nutrition during pregnancy & breastfeeding, birth control, keto for women vs. men, menopause and fat loss, and as always metabolic flexibility!
“Women are not small men. We have very complex biological features. I’m on a crusade to fix pregnancy nutrition and to fix nutrition for women.” Dr. Jaime Seeman
Episode Top Takeaways:
- Even specialists are always learning new things in their own field of study, stay educated!
- Low-carb can be a great (and even ideal) diet for parts of pregnancy, perimenopause, and menopause.
- Having lean muscle mass helps fight metabolic disease
- ‘Birth control’ is for birth control. It’s overprescribed for issues not related to contraception and have many side effects that may outweigh the perceived benefits
- [1:12] Dr. Jaime Seeman Background
- [7:16] Is Keto/Low carb safe for Pregnant or Breastfeeding women?
- [9:50] Adaptations during pregnancy, hormonal shifts
- [10:50] First part of pregnancy is anabolic, Mom starts storing energy for later, usually an increase in insulin sensitivity.
- [12:02] “Trust me, if ketosis killed pregnancies we wouldn't see many women in the second trimester.”
- [12:20] Second part of pregnancy is catabolic, the body breaks down to feed the baby, usually a decrease in insulin sensitivity, leptin resistance as well.
- [14:40] “Glucose crosses the placenta but insulin doesn’t”
- [17:00] Carbs and Pregnancy Truth
- [20:05] Ketosis is a very safe state for growing babies
- [22:20] High protein keto diet for pregnant women is a big positive
- [26:06] Having lean muscle mass helps fight metabolic disease
- [27:45] Dr. Jaime’s view on strict keto for women opposed to men
- [30:15] Strict keto is initially important for becoming metabolically fat adapted. It can take many weeks to start making and using ketones the first time
- [32:40] “A woman’s menstrual cycle is the fifth vital sign.” If a woman doing keto loses her menstrual cycle, that means there is a problem, something is not working.
- [34:53] “Ketosis is a metabolic state not just a diet.” Rachel Gregory
- [37:51] “For the vast majority of women, I don’t think that zero carb is the best thing.” Dr Jaime on the benefit of metabolic flexibility.
- [39:20] Can women lose weight during/after menopause?
- [40:45] Perimenopause or Menopause is a huge metabolic and hormonal shift in a woman’s body
- [44:00] Birth control, what is it really doing to a woman’s hormones?
- [45:04] “Birth control pill is overprescribed for issues not related to contraception” and have many side effects that may outweigh the perceived benefits
- [49:30] Info on natural forms of family planning and cycle tracking
- [53:45] Wrap up and parting questions, check out Fit and Fabulous, speaking dates for Dr. Jaime Seeman
Listen to the full episode HERE.
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).