Episode 36: Building Muscle And...Losing Body Fat, Liberating Carbs, Fasting & AgingJul 17, 2020
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
In this episode, Rachel talks Body Recomposition, building muscle as you age, fasting, and more!
- Should I aim to lose body fat before gaining muscle, or do both at once?
- How can I build muscle after 60?
- Do you need to liberate carbs more to build muscle?
- How can I deal with training (lifts specifically) and intermittent fasting?
- How often do you recommend fasting?
- Protein, Protein, Protein
- No matter the age, it’s best to start your proper habits now
- Body recomposition often includes multiple stages
- The Leucine Threshold
- [1:00] Share it out :) Send to a friend, post to IG, TWEET it if you want :)
- [2:00] Join Rachel’s Newsletter The Friday Flex
- [3:00] Losing body fat before gaining muscle, or doing both at once
- [5:00] Apply for coaching with Rachel
- [6:00] Rachel’s personal journey with body recomposition
- [9:30] Reversing your diet and changing phases of recomposition
- [12:30] How to build muscle after 60
- [13:30] Progression and Recovery
- [15:00] “If you're not consuming adequate nutrients, you're not giving your body the building blocks it needs to build muscle”
- [17:00] Rachel's Exercise Programs
- [19:00] Muscle protein synthesis and the Leucine threshold
- [24:00] All About Protein Blog
- [25:00] “You need to make sure also that you're consuming high quality foods that include a good amount of Leucine. And so really, high-quality animal products and dairy and things like that. Those are usually what have the most bioavailable form, of not just proteins and amino acids, but they have a lot of Leucine compared to other kinds of plant based protein.”
- [27:00] Do you need to liberate carbs more to build muscle?
- [30:30] MetFlex Episode 18: Carb Ups and Carb Cycling
- [31:30] Carbs can actually help blunt Cortisol. Post-workout carbs can be very helpful!
- [36:30] Turning the light switch on throughout the day, is likely more advantageous to building muscle
- [38:00] How often do you recommend fasting?
- [40:00] MetFlex Episode 17: THE Fasting Episode with Mike Mutzel
- Rachel’s Website
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Rachel's Exercise Programs
- All About Protein Blog
- MetFlex Episode 18: Carb Ups and Carb Cycling
- MetFlex Episode 17: THE Fasting Episode with Mike Mutzel
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos