Episode 40: Transitioning From Cardio to Strength Training, Pre & Post Workout Nutrition, Low-Carb/Keto/IF & Pregnancy, and More!
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.killinitketo.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.killinitketo.com/newsletter
In this episode, Rachel talks in depth about nutrient dense foods for pre and post workouts, pivoting from doing lots of cardio to weightlifting without gaining weight, how to safely follow a low carb/keto diet while pregnant… And much more!
- Is it safe to eat low carb/keto and do IF (ie., 16-24 hour fasts) while pregnant?
- How do you transition from all cardio to strength training without gaining weight?
- How did you build your current career?
- What to eat before and after a lifting session on low carb?
- Do things like Genoplate (DNA advice for macros) work? Mine recommended high carb.
- What are your two biggest pet-peeves?
- How to safely follow a low carb/ketogenic diet during pregnancy
- Nutrition is the biggest determinant when going from all cardio to resistance training without gaining weight
- Why tracking your daily steps and movement matters
- Recommended foods to eat pre and post workout
- [0:00] Share the podcast.. Send to a friend, post to IG, TWEET it if you want!
- [1:00] Join Rachel’s Newsletter The Friday Flex, follow her on Instagram @rachelgregory.cns and view more info about Rachels exercise programs on her website
- [1:30] Safety tips following a low carb ketogenic diet and incorporating intermittent fasting during pregnancy
- [2:00] Mention of previous episodes relating to low carb, keto, and pregnancy with Dr. Jaime Seeman
- [2:00] Nutrition during pregnancy with Matt and Megha!
- [3:00 How to get enough nutrient dense food, calories, and energy to support growth of a human being during pregnancy
- [4:00] Transition tools to go from all cardio to weightlifting without gaining weight
- [6:00] Move your body… the importance of step counting
- [6:30] To avoid gaining weight when shifting from cardio to weightlifting start with a full body workout- Level Up Program is a good one to check out
- [7:00] Rachel’s Exercise Programs
- [8:00] Focusing on tracking weekly averages vs. daily fluctuations in weight
- [10:00] How Rachel built her current career
- [10:30] Metflex and Chill: Episode Zero
- [11:00] Rachels interview with Genova diagnostics
- [11:30] What to eat before and after a lifting session on low carb: pre-workout nutrition
- [11:30] Customizing pre workout nutrition that works for you
- [14:30] Macronutrients to focus on for pre workouts
- [15:00] Medium Chain Triglycerides... What are they and best type to consume before a workout
- [17:00] Glucose Transporters and how they react with carbs/starch
- [20:00] Rachel’s go to pre workout carb source: UCAN Super Starch
- [21:30] Fats, proteins and carbs and protein synthesis
- [24:30] Post Workout Nutrition goals
- [25:00] Recovery process and a deep dive on protein synthesis, easily digestible fats, proteins and carbs
- [32:30] Overview of what Rachel thinks about genoplates DNA testing
- [36:30] Rachel's Pet Peeves
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).