Episode 45: The Science of Body Recomposition with Dr. Bill CampbellAug 18, 2020
Listeners can find Dr. Bill Campbell on Instagram @billcampbellphd.
Dr. Bill Campbell is a Professor of Exercise Science and Director of the Performance & Physique Enhancement Laboratory at the University of South Florida. His research is focused on helping people optimize their physiques within a maintainable lifestyle. He is a litigation consultant/expert witness related to dietary supplementation, a Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist, and holds the status of “Fellow” of the International Society of Sports Nutrition where he recently served as the organization’s President.
In this episode we talk about habits to adopt to build the body you want for life, the consequences associated with endless dieting, the science behind diet breaks and refeeds, and much more!
- Two game changing factors in body recomposition: resistance training & protein intake
- Caloric restriction consequences when dieting for an extended amount of time
- Strategic ways to maintain an optimal physique!
- How to incorporate diet refeeds and still lose body fat
- [0:00] Welcome back to the show! Rachel welcomes Dr. Bill Campbell @billcampbellphd to the listeners
- [2:30] Dr. Bill Campbell gives his background finding his passion
- [4:30] A dive into body recomposition
- [7:00] Dr. Bill Campbell gives context to his research focus
- [7:30] Gaining muscle and losing body fat at the same time - is it possible?
- [8:30] If you want to gain muscle and lose body fat.. Two scenarios that have common threads are resistance training and increased protein intake
- [12:00] Consequences of being in a caloric deficit for a extended amount of time
- [17:30] Successful tips to avoid negative consequences when dieting
- [18:30] In depth breakdown of three principles to use if you’re looking to transition from a diet phase to a maintenance phase
- [24:30] It all comes back to prioritizing protein!
- [26:30] Keto is not a one size fits all diet but can be used as a tool
- [29:00] How much protein is enough protein to achieve fat loss and muscle gain?
- [32:00] “If you're trying to optimize your physique, it's going to be difficult to do that without an appreciation and an adoption of resistance training.” Dr. Bill Campbell
- [34:30] Dr. Bill Campbell gives his philosophies on diet breaks and refeeds
- [36:00] The concept of non linear dieting
- [38:00] The Matador study
- [40:00] The reasonings behind why diet refeeds lead to successful results
- [48:30] Metabolic adaptation vs. metabolism ‘slowing down’
- [56:30] Psychological effects of diet breaks and refeeds
- [1:04:30] Wise words to remember when browsing social media highlights
- [1:08:30] Listeners can find Dr. Bill Campbell on instagram @billcampbellphd and view his recent study on Diet Breaks HERE.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition youtube