Episode 19: Unexpected Lessons from Gaining and Losing 75 lbs, Keto & CrossFit, Training For 100-Mile Race with Drew ManningMay 19, 2020
Health and fitness expert Drew Manning is the New York Times best-selling author of Fit2Fat2Fit: The Unexpected Lessons from Gaining and Losing 75 lbs on Purpose and has for years been a leading voice in the burgeoning Keto Diet movement.
Drew is also the creator of the A&E Show Fit to Fat to Fit and the host of The Fit2Fat2Fit Experience podcast. With over a million social media followers, Drew continues to transform people’s lives all around the world.
Known for his straightforward and empathetic fitness and health coaching, Drew has been featured on The Dr. Oz Show, CNN, Good Morning America, The Tonight Show, The View, and MSNBC, among other media outlets.
In this episode, we cover Drew’s viral weight loss journey and look at the role of metabolic flexibility for long-distance endurance training and CrossFit.
Episode Top Takeaways:
- Keto is not a death sentence for glycolytic sports as long as you implement it appropriately.
- Everything is a tool. Using carbs with intention is key.
- We all need to have people and resources to depend on when achieving our fitness and life goals.
- [5:42] Intro/Background on Drew Manning, Fit2Fat2Fit Journey.
- [10:07] When Drew started to transition to Keto, Started in 2011 on more of a Paleo type diet and began to transition to Keto around 2015.
- [12:35] Rachel starts studying Keto in 2014 in combination with CrossFit
- [13:04] CrossFit and Keto: Can you do both successfully at the same time?
- [14:27] How Drew instructs to start a glycolytic sport like CrossFit while following a low carb diet.
- [15:30] Adding in carbs once a person is Keto adapted is really beneficial to high-level athletes in glycolytic sports.
- [16:42] Previous podcast guest Ryan Lowery
- [18:50] Discussing Drew’s ways of avoiding carb phobia.
- [20:30] Incorporate carbs intentionally, avoid easy access to processed carbs because we all have foods that we can’t resist.
- [21:41] Long endurance training, Drew’s goal to run 100 miles in 24hrs, Can’t Hurt Me Book.
- [23:01] Drew will be running again to raise money for Operation Underground Railroad, a nonprofit that helps rescue child sex slaves
- [24:29] Drew’s altered carb intake for running extreme long distance and still sticking to Keto on non-running or race days.
- [27:48] Revisiting the stress of carb phobia after going full Keto
- [31:07] Talking about the importance a coach can have in helping you get past your own personal sticking points in achieving your training and lifestyle goals.
- [34:15] Helpful mindset practices, hiring a life coach, incorporating meditation, gratitude list, journaling. Importance of morning routine
- [37:55] Rachel talks about her coach starting her on meditation practices
- [39:26] Question for Drew: Is there anything you have changed your mind about during the last year?
- [42:26] If you had one daily theme song what would it be?
- [45:04] Drew manning 100 race details, find Link to donate
- [45:35] Drew’s two books: Complete Keto. and Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit
Listen to the full episode HERE.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition