Low-Carb Gingerbread CupcakesDec 21, 2020
These gingerbread cupcakes are a great low-carb alternative to traditional gingerbread treats for this Christmas season!
For Gingerbread Cupcakes
- 64 g almond flour
- 21 g coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs (whites and yolks divided)
- 1/3 cup golden sweetener (such as Lakanto or Swerve)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 60 g butter (melted and cooled)
- 60 mL water
For buttercream frosting
- 70 g butter (room temperature)
- 70 g cream cheese (room temperature)
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup powdered sweetener (such as Lakanto or Swerve)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Tip: If you only have the granular version of the sweetener, you can turn it into a powdered consistency by simply grinding it in a coffee or spice grinder.
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, mix together almond and coconut flour, psyllium husk, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In another bowl, with an electric hand mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- In a large bowl, mix egg yolks and sweetener until fluffy.
- Into the bowl containing egg yolks and sweetener, incorporate the butter and apple cider vinegar. After that is mixed in, add the flour mixture slowly, alternating with water, and continue to mix.
- After the dough has formed, incorporate the egg whites into the dough. Note: This batter is thicker than typical cupcake batters.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners or greased muffin tin. There should be enough batter for 6 cupcakes.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, covering with foil at 15 minutes.
For the frosting:
- Add butter and cream cheese to a mixing bowl.
- With an electric hand mixer, beat for about 2 minutes.
- Add salt and sweetener slowly until desired sweetness is reached.
- Add in vanilla extract and mix until fully combined.
- Make sure cupcakes are cooled completely before frosting.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 Cupcake + 1 Serving Frosting) 298 Calories, 29g Fat, 9g Protein, 7g Total Carbs, 3 g Fiber, 4g Net Carbs
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos