Episode 48: Hormones, Birth Control, Carb-Ups, Sleep Hygiene, Resistance Training, & More! with Dr. Jaime SeemanAug 28, 2020
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
Dr Jaime Seeman is a board certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing in Omaha, Nebraska. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition, Exercise and Health Sciences and graduated medical school, completing her OBGYN residency at The University of Nebraska Medical Center.
Dr. Seeman is in private practice at Mid City OBGYN offering a full range of services in obstetrics, gynecology, robotic surgery and primary care. She is a fellow in Integrative Medicine at The University of Arizona School of Medicine and a board certified ketogenic nutrition specialist through The American Nutrition Association.
She has a passion for fitness, preventative medicine and ketogenic therapy not only in her medical practice but in her own life. She is married to her husband Ben, a police Sergeant and has three young daughters. Dr. Seeman was crowned Mrs Nebraska 2020 and will make a run for Mrs. America in the fall. She also appeared on the NBC Titan games with Dwayne “The Rock'' Johnson placing in the Top 6.
In this Q&A episode with Dr. Jaime Seeman we chat about the complexities related to hormones, carbs and menstrual cycles, birth control, and much more!
- Best phase to carb up during your menstrual cycle
- If you take an oral contraceptive you may need this supplement
- Simple strategies to adopt to get the most out of your sleep
- A common misconception around resistance training you need to forget
- [0:00] Live Q&A with Dr. Jaime Seeman
- [1:00] Dr. Jaime introduces herself to the group and gives a brief background
- [1:30] Dr. Jaime’s 5 Pillars to health: nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress, and environment
- [2:30] Question: How long can I expect it to take to restore my cycle by implementing carb ups? When you have HPA axis dysfunction?
- [5:00] Leptin, Ghrelin and the relationship between the two hormones
- [7:00] Question: Do you recommend carbing up around parts of your cycle versus what works for your lifestyle?
- [7:30] Phases of menstrual cycles and when it's best to implement carb ups
- [9:30] Question: If a woman has an endometrial ablation and does not have a cycle. How do they know when or what the hormones are doing?
- [11:00] Question: What is the gold standard hormone test?
- [14:30] Question: On average, how long does it take to get your period back after you have an IUD removed?
- [16:00] Question: What are your beliefs on different birth controls, and which is best in the long term as some can have negative consequences? Or is there a better alternative? (i.e condoms, timing, etc.)
- [17:00] Three categories of birth control: non hormonal, combined contraception, and progesterone only methods
- [19:00] Ramifications of a combined contraception
- [20:00] The Other Pill
- [22:30] Question: What are some important components for having good sleep hygiene?
- [25:30] Question: Can carb backloading help with sleep?
- [28:00] Question: Is there any data surrounding HRV when you start your period, or any factors that cause changes in HRV, or resting heart rate during your cycle?
- [29:30] Question: How do you change your protein amount depending on what's going on versus if you're prepping for something or everyday life. Have you ever felt bad when you eat a lot of protein?
- [34:00] Question: I have a genetic disorder, Wilson's disease. That means I can't eliminate copper normally and take a lot of zinc every day. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for almost a year, but I'm curious if the copper in the body can keep my body from ovulating
- [36:00] Question: Can zinc supplements offset the heavier period side effects of a IUD?
- [37:00] Question: What do you recommend for keeping regular on keto?... (yes we are talking bowel movements)
- [40:00] Dr. Jaime gives her perspective on resistance training and cardio
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition