Episode 139: Is Your Metabolism Broken? with Brandon DaCruzNov 12, 2021
Brandon DaCruz is an online nutrition and physique coach, sports nutritionist as well as the National sales manager of an internationally carried supplement brand. He’s also a National Level NPC physique competitor and an internationally published fitness model who’s written articles and filmed educational content for publications like Men’s Fitness Magazine and Bodybuilding.com.
Brandon has spent the past 12 years working within the sports nutrition and fitness industries and has coached every type of client including Olympia Level professional men’s physique competitors, college athletes, MMA fighters, CrossFit competitors, and lifestyle clients.
He believes in blending what’s been proven in the research with his own anecdotal and first hand "in the trenches'' experience to improve body composition, optimize performance and enhance health in order to help his clients achieve their goals whether that be building muscle, losing body fat, increasing performance and/or optimizing health and longevity. This is what he refers to as his health-centric coaching model as he believes that improving one's health is the cornerstone to optimizing their physical goals.
In this episode, we chat about the four components that make up your metabolism, the power of mindset in any transformation journey, three components affected by metabolic adaptation, tips on how to manage adaptations, and much more!
“We have to realize that metabolic adaptations are part of the process, and we can’t completely avoid them, this is a natural response. However, we can minimize some of the factors that are downregulated to make the process of dieting easier, more efficient, and successful.” Brandon DaCruz
- Four components of your metabolism explained
- One key component to elicit any type of adaptation
- 3 main components affected by metabolic adaptation
- How to manage metabolic adaptation to have more effective fat loss phases
- [0:00] Rachel gives a brief bio about guest Brandon DaCruz to the listeners
- [1:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel welcomes repeat guest Brandon DaCruz to the listeners
- [1:30] Episode 129: Metabolic Flexibility: A Lifestyle Approach with Brandon DaCruz, Episode 112: Energy Flux: The Missing Piece To Your Fitness Journey with Brandon DaCruz
- [2:00] Brandon gives a brief bio of his journey within the health, nutrition, and supplement space
- [4:00] “We all hit plateaus, and no process, especially the process of fat loss, is a linear one.” Brandon DaCruz
- [4:30] Question: What is metabolism? Can you break it down in layman’s terms for everyone?
- [5:00] What is metabolism?
- [7:00] Question: What are the components of your metabolism?
- [11:30] “When it comes to ‘what factors of our metabolism are within our control in terms of increasing energy expenditure,’ NEAT is going to be the golden ticket.” Brandon DaCruz
- [17:00] Question: What is metabolic adaptation?
- [22:30] Question: What are the 3 main components affected by metabolic adaptation?
- [25:30] Nonexercise activity thermogenesis – liberating the life-force
- [42:30] Third component of metabolic adaptation: mitochondrial changes
- [44:00] Question: What are some practical tips that you would recommend to your clients for managing some of these adaptations that are inevitably going to occur?
- [44:30] “We have to realize that metabolic adaptations are part of the process, and we can’t completely avoid them, this is a natural response. However, we can minimize some of the factors that are downregulated, to make the process of dieting easier, more efficient, and successful.”
- [1:01:30] To check out more from Brandon DaCruz you can find him on IG @brandondacruz_ and for fitness inquiries at [email protected]
- [1:03:30] Thanks for listening to another episode! If you’re loving MetFlex and Chill and want to help grow the show, please head over to Itunes and leave a rating and review! How to Leave an Apple Podcast Review: First, Open the podcast app on your iPhone, Mac, or iPad. Then, hit the “Search” tab at the bottom right-hand corner of the page and search for MetFlex and Chill. Select the podcast, scroll down to find the subheading “Ratings & Reviews”. and select “Write a Review.” Next, select the number of stars you’d like to leave. Please choose 5 stars! Using the text box which says “Title,” write a title for your review. Then in the text box, write the review itself. The review can be up to 300 words long, but doesn’t need to be much more than: “Love the show! Thanks!” or “Rachel provides wonderful content from a multitude of expert guests!” Once you’re done select “Send” in the upper right-hand corner.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition youtube