Episode 126: Pregnancy Nutrition and Misconceptions with Ashleigh VanHoutenAug 13, 2021
Ashleigh is an author, speaker, podcast host, health coach, and leading authority on understanding the nutrient density of animal protein: she’s the author of one of the only nose-to-tail, organ-meat centric cookbooks in existence, called It Takes Guts. She is the host of the Muscle Maven Radio podcast—with more than 1.3 million downloads— where she interviews some of the leading minds in exercise and nutrition methodology and overall wellness.
Ashleigh holds a master’s degree in professional communications and a range of certifications including CrossFit Strongman Certification, CrossFit Olympic Lifting Certification, Primal Blueprint Coaching Certification, Precision Nutrition Level 1 Certification, and a Certification in Applied Women’s Physiology and Training. In her spare time, she is a former nationally ranked natural figure competitor, and has competed in powerlifting and CrossFit. She’s working on her next animal protein-based cookbook – stay tuned
In this episode, Rachel and Ashleigh chat about Ashleigh’s journey through pregnancy, common misunderstandings around nutrition while pregnant, how to healthily handle physical and emotional changes, food aversions, and round one of The Muscle Science For Women Program updates and feedback!
“I do think that sometimes, some aspects of aversions and cravings are because you are deficient in something and it's telling you that you gotta eat this stuff.” Ashleigh Van Houten
- How Ashleigh handled physical and emotional changes during pregnancy
- Ashleigh’s two go-to “junk” foods during pregnancy
- Misconceptions of pregnancy nutrition
- Vitamin A toxicity during pregnancy
- Rachel and Ashleigh share their main takeaways from round one of The Muscle Science for Women Program
- [1:30] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Today’s repeat guest is Ashleigh VanHouten @themusclemaven
- [2:00] For those who don’t know Ashleigh~ She dives into her background briefly
- [2:30] It Takes Guts
- [3:00] If you’re interested in some previous episodes Ashleigh has been on check out: Episode 92: All About That Cardio with Ashleigh Vanhouten, Episode 60: Q&A: All About Building Muscle with Ashleigh Vanhouten, Episode 54: Strategies To Curb Emotional & Boredom Eating with Ashleigh Vanhouten, Episode 49: The Unpopular Truth About Building Muscle As A Woman + Organ Meat Chat with Ashleigh VanHouten, Episode 42: Fasting Q&A with Ashleigh VanHouten
- [4:30] A Special Baby Announcement!
- [10:30] Question: Is there one specific take away from the last 9 months of being pregnant that has surprised you?
- [13:30] Question: In terms of pregnancy nutrition, can you chat about your experience and what you prioritized that was out of the norm for you?
- [23:30] Nature's Candy - Kabocha Squash
- [24:00] Question: Did you have any weird cravings during pregnancy?
- [25:00] “I do think that sometimes, some aspects of aversions and cravings are because you are deficient in something and it's telling you that you gotta eat this stuff.” Ashleigh Van Houten
- [30:00] Question: What are your thoughts on being “metabolically inflexible” going into pregnancy?
- [30:30] Mindset on nutrition and food going into pregnancy
- [32:30] Importance of healthy mindset focus during pregnancy
- [33:30] Lily Nichols - Real Food For Pregnancy
- [38:30] Coffee during pregnancy
- [44:00] Main lessons learned during the first round of The Muscle Science For Women Program
- [46:30] Question: Do you have any takeaways that you saw from the nutrition component of the Muscle Science For Women program?
- [56:00] Two feedback tips from clients of the MSW program
- [58:30] www.metflexlife.com/msw
- [58:30] New adventures? Next cookbook: Protein forward cookbook! Podcast: Muscle Maven Radio
- [59:30] It Takes Guts
- [1:00:00] You can check out more for from Ashleigh on IG @themusclemaven
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition