Episode 136: 10 Mistakes Women Make When Trying To Build MuscleOct 22, 2021
In this episode, Rachel breaks down 10 common mistakes women make when trying to build muscle, signs that recovery needs to be prioritized, benefits of incorporating electrolytes daily, and how to practice the art of patience when it comes to building your best physique.
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
“Building muscle takes a long time. It takes a lot of patience, it takes getting comfortable with the uncomfortable...and with that comes setting goals that are outside of aesthetics.”
- Telltale signs you might be doing too much or need to prioritize recovery
- Strategic ways to track biofeedback daily
- The minimum amount of months Rachel recommends devoting to a building phase
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Today’s episode is a solo chat about common mistakes women make when building muscle
- [0:30] Keto For Women, Muscle Science for Women, or check out all of Rachel’s programs at www.metflexlife.com/programs
- [4:30] The next round of The Muscle Science for Women is opening soon! If you’re interested in signing up for the waitlist check it out at www.metflexlife.com/msw
- [5:30] The first common mistake: not eating enough food to support muscle growth and recovery
- [7:00] “Fueling appropriately is not just about fueling yourself for your workout, but to make sure that you're fueling your body and your muscles so that they can repair and rebuild after you've worked out.”
- [8:00] Not fueling appropriately and not paying attention to the amount of sodium and electrolytes you’re consuming, could hinder progress
- [9:00] The Second common mistake: Overworking and not giving your body and mind enough time to recover
- [13:30] “The ability to recover isn't just about rest days, it also has to do with what's going on in the rest of your life.”
- [17:30] The Third Common Mistake: Too much HIIT and circuit style training (i.e., Orange Theory, CrossFit, F45)
- [19:00] “You don’t have to be dead on the floor in a sweat angel to know you’ve gotten a good workout.”
- [23:00] The Fourth Common Mistake: No structure, no progression, and not enough intensity
- [28:00] The Fifth Common Mistake: Not tracking your workouts or biofeedback
- [33:30] The Sixth Common Mistake: Not being patient!
- [36:00] Episode 104: 8-Month Building Phase Results & Plan For Next Cut, Episode 45: The Science of Body Recomposition with Dr. Bill Campbell, Episode 125: The Protein to Energy Ratio with Dr. Ted Naiman
- [36:30] “Building muscle takes a long time. It takes a lot of patience, it takes getting comfortable with the uncomfortable...and with that comes setting goals that are outside of aesthetics.”
- [39:00] The Seventh Common Mistake: Not being consistent
- [41:00] The Eighth Common Mistake: Scared to see the scale go up
- [42:30] The Ninth Common Mistake: Letting body image and body dysmorphia consume your mindset
- [44:30] If you’re interested in working with Rachel one-on-one check out www.metflexlife.com/apply
- [44:30] www.metflexlife.com/programs
- [45:00] The Tenth Common Mistake: Letting your ego run the show
- [49:30] If you want to reach out to Rachel connect with her on Instagram @rachelgregory.cns or email her at [email protected]
- [50:00] Thanks for listening to another episode! If you’re loving MetFlex and Chill and want to help grow the show, please head over to Itunes and leave a rating and review! How to Leave an Apple Podcast Review: First, Open the podcast app on your iPhone, Mac, or iPad. Then, hit the “Search” tab at the bottom right-hand corner of the page and search for MetFlex and Chill. Select the podcast, scroll down to find the subheading “Ratings & Reviews”. and select “Write a Review.” Next, select the number of stars you’d like to leave. Please choose 5 stars! Using the text box which says “Title,” write a title for your review. Then in the text box, write the review itself. The review can be up to 300 words long, but doesn’t need to be much more than: “Love the show! Thanks!” or “Rachel provides wonderful content from a multitude of expert guests!” Once you’re done select “Send” in the upper right-hand corner.
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- If you’re interested in working with Rachel one-on-one check out www.metflexlife.com/apply
- The next round of The Muscle Science for Women is opening soon! If you’re interested in signing up for the waitlist check it out at www.metflexlife.com/msw
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition youtube