Episode 56: Clearing Up The Cardio Confusion: Implementing Cardio for Fat Loss, Performance, and Overall HealthSep 25, 2020
In this episode, Rachel breaks down all things cardio in relation to its effectiveness with fat loss, body recomposition, overall health and more!
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
- When it comes to cardio, when should you incorporate steady-state, interval, and/or sprint style cardio into your strength training?
- What is your take on the very popular 20 minute HIIT training exercise programs?
- The two main systems your body uses to create ATP AKA Energy
- Two guidelines Rachel bases her cardio recommendations on to optimize results
- Nutrition, resistance training, cardio -- the hierarchy to efficiently reaching your goals
- One key factor to pay attention to that often gets ignored during your fitness journey
- Health benefits of aerobic cardio training
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel takes a deep dive into all things cardio!
- [1:30] Question: When it comes to cardio, when should you incorporate steady state interval and or sprint style cardio into your strength training regimen
- [4:00] Two main energy systems that produce ATP: Aerobic System and Anaerobic System
- [3:40] The anaerobic system has two subdivisions: Anaerobic Lactic System and the Anaerobic-Alactic System
- [7:00] First energy system: Aerobic System (with oxygen) a.k.a long term energy or longer than 2-3 minutes
- [9:30] Second energy system: Anaerobic System (without oxygen) a.k.a short term energy
- [9:30] Anaerobic Lactic System explained - without oxygen with lactate
- [14:00] Anaerobic A-Lactic System explained - without oxygen without lactate
- [17:00] Episode 33: Top 5 Supplements Everyone Should Consider with Shawn Wells
- [18:00] Two guidelines Rachel bases her cardio recommendations on to crush your goals
- [18:30] Episode 45: The Science of Body Recomposition with Dr. Bill Campbell
- [27:30] A breakdown on cardio as a stressor and why it's important to strategically add it to your regimen
- [32:30] Question: What is your take on the very popular 20 minute HIIT training exercise programs?
- [36:00] EPOC: excess post exercise oxygen consumption
- [40:00] Benefits of aerobic training
- [43:30] Question (to be continued!): When tracking heart rate during cardio is the benefit in keeping the heart rate up for a period of time, or being able to rev it up and take it down efficiently that makes the most impact.
- [48:00] If you have further questions about this episode or in general, please reach out @rachelgregory.cns or visit her website
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Episode 33: Top 5 Supplements Everyone Should Consider with Shawn Wells
- Episode 45: The Science of Body Recomposition with Dr. Bill Campbell
- Proper Exercise Programming and Planned Movement are Necessary
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos