Episode 71: Lose Fat AND Build Muscle with Christopher BarakatNov 16, 2020
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Chris Barakat is from Long Island, NY. He started competing in Natural Bodybuilding in 2011 at 19 years old. Chris studied Athletic Training (BS - ATC) at Stony Brook University and went to the University of Tampa for his MS in Exercise & Nutritional Science where he got involved in exercise science research in the Human Performance Lab
Chris founded Competitive Breed LLC in 2015 (Coaching Services for Physique Athletes) and the School of Gainz in 2019 (Educational Platform, Coaching Services for all demographics, Content & Products, etc.). Chris has been teaching as an Adjunct at the University of Tampa since 2017.
In this episode, we talk about body recomposition in maintenance and surplus stages, strategically meeting your daily macros, working out vs. following a workout program, physiological and psychological benefits to diet breaks and refeeds, the 3500 calorie rule, and much more!
- Basics for body recomposition
- Chris’s formula for setting up your macros
- Two ways to approach post workout nutrition
- How to structure your resistance training program to optimize your workouts
- Daily caloric intake vs. weekly caloric intake
- What exactly is your definition of body recomposition?
- What are some characteristics or pre-reqs for someone to be able to efficiently recomp vs. those that would do better with a dedicated phase (or phases) in a surplus?
- What’s your formula for setting up clients' macros?
- What’s your philosophy on pre and post workout nutrition?
- What’s your take on metabolic flexibility?
- What are the benefits of having a solid post workout meal?
- How do you go about structuring an effective training plan for the gym?
- Do you implement diet breaks and refeeds with your clients?
- What would your general recommendations be for someone who's going through a body recomposition or fat loss phase for implementing refeeds? And diet breaks?
- Do you feel diet break benefits are more psychological versus physiological?
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel gives a brief background on guest Chris Barakat @christopher.barakat
- [2:00] Rachel introduces guest Chris Barakat to the listeners @christopher.barakat
- [2:30] All things body recomp! Chris dives into how he pursued his passion in nutritional science
- [4:30] Question: What exactly is your definition of body recomposition?
- [7:00] What would be some of the characteristics of someone that comes to you or someone that you would see has the best potential to recomp versus those that might not?
- [10:00] Question: What are some characteristics or pre-reqs for someone to be able to efficiently recomp vs those that would do better with a dedicated phase or phases in a surplus?
- [12:30] Question: What’s your formula for setting up clients' macros?
- [13:00] Mifflin St. George Formula
- [15:30] Question: What’s your philosophy on pre and post workout nutrition?
- [24:00] Question: What’s your take on metabolic flexibility?
- [27:30] Question: What are the benefits of having a solid post workout meal?
- [30:00] Question: How do you go about structuring an effective training plan for the gym?
- [41:30] Question: Do you implement diet breaks and refeeds with your clients? What would your general recommendations be for someone who's going through a body composition or fat loss phase and may be implementing refeeds and diet breaks?
- [41:30] Episode 45: The Science of Body Recomposition with Dr. Bill Campbell
- [45:30] What is the 3500 calorie rule?
- [49:00] Question: Do you feel diet break benefits are more psychological versus physiological?
- [56:30] Question: Is there anything that you've changed your mind about in the last year and why?
- [58:30] Question: Is there anything that you've personally been implementing, in the last month or so, whether it's nutrition wise, mindset, lifestyle, anything at all that you've found to make a difference in your day to day practices?
- [1:01:00] Question: Do you want to share anything that you have on the horizon coming up for you?
- [1:03:30] You can find Chris primarily on his instagram @christopher.barakat or his website https://schoolofgainz.com
- [1:04:00] The Ultimate Guide to Body Recomposition
- [1:04:00] Thank you for listening to another episode with Rachel! And as always if you’re enjoying the show please screenshot it and tag @rachelgregory.cns in your IG stories!
- [1:04:30] If you need more information from shownotes check out www.metflexlife.com
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories cheat sheets chicken & seafood desserts dinner fat loss keto alternatives keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep podcast podcasts pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips vegetables & sides videos