Episode 123: Re-Incorporating Carbs After Keto and How to Get the Most Out of Your Pre-workout Nutrition & SupplementsJul 23, 2021
In this episode, Rachel chats about what to focus on when you’re trying to “shape” your body, why it may not be a good idea to endurance train and go into a bulk phase at the same time, benefits of peri-workout and pre-bedtime carb ups, simple pre-workout snacks, how to find quality pre-workout supplements, and more!
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
“If you feel like you're constantly fighting sugar cravings, and that's the reason why you went to more of a low carb or keto approach. It's usually not the actual sugar cravings. For some people it is but for most people, it's more so the hyper-palatable foods that contain both high amounts of sugar and fat.” Rachel Gregory
- I’m pear-shaped and store ALL fat on my lower body, what is the trick to even out muscle definition?
- What are your thoughts on training for a half marathon during a bulk?
- When is using moderate carbs better? Seems most popular for competitive bodybuilding.
- How do I transition from keto to low carb (how many carbs to add/time-frame/fighting sugar cravings)?
- Do you take a pre-workout?
- Strategies to implement to “even out" muscle definition and create a smaller waist
- General signs and symptoms to look for when it might be time to add carbs back into your diet after keto
- Main factors to be aware of when buying pre-workout supplements
- Specific ingredients and effective dosages to look for in pre-workout supplements
- 5 focus points to address before adding a pre-workout to your regimen
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Today’s episode is a Q&A answering a variety of different questions related to pre-workout supplements, combining endurance and strength training, carb-ups, shaping your physique, and more!
- [0:30] Rachel is doing a giveaway! One winner will be chosen from the Itunes reviews to receive a one-hour FREE consult call with her to ask any questions you have about your personal nutrition and training protocol. Thank you for all your love and support for MetFlex and Chill!
- [1:00] How to Leave an Apple Podcast Review: First, Open the podcast app on your iPhone, Mac, or iPad. Then, hit the “Search” tab at the bottom right-hand corner of the page and search for MetFlex and Chill. Select the podcast, scroll down to find the subheading “Ratings & Reviews”. and select “Write a Review.” Next, select the number of stars you’d like to leave. Please choose 5 stars! Using the text box which says “Title,” write a title for your review. Then in the text box, write the review itself. The review can be up to 300 words long, but doesn’t need to be much more than: “Love the show! Thanks!” or “Rachel provides wonderful content from a multitude of expert guests!” Once you’re done select “Send” in the upper right-hand corner.
- [2:00] Question: I’m pear-shaped and store ALL fat on my lower body, what is the trick to even out muscle definition?
- [3:00] Follow a training program that is structured and emphasizes a balance between upper and lower body
- [5:00] “Don’t neglect the upper body, your shoulders/arms create that overall shape. Having broader, muscular shoulders actually make your waist look smaller.” Rachel Gregory
- [8:00] Question: What are your thoughts on training for a half marathon during a bulk?
- [09:00] “If you want to go into a building phase or bulk, the majority of your training energy should be going to weight training since that’s what’s ultimately going to drive muscle growth.” Rachel Gregory
- [12:30] Question: When is using moderate carbs better? Seems most popular for competitive bodybuilding
- [13:30] Common signs and symptoms to look for that might indicate its time to increase carb intake or implement carb-ups
- [20:00] If you want to strive for ultimate metabolic flexibility check out Rachel’s MetFlex Life Course
- [21:30] How do I transition from keto to low carb (how many carbs to add/time frame/fighting sugar cravings)?
- [22:00] Keto For Women course
- [23:00] Pre and post-workout carb ups and pre-bedtime carb-up benefits
- [25:00] Two of Rachel’s go-to night-time snacking ideas!
- [27:30] If going from low carb-keto to adding in carbs… focus on these specific carbs
- [28:30] Sugar cravings, processed foods, and hyper-palatable foods
- [31:00] Pair carbs with fat and protein and try to avoid “naked” carbs
- [34:00] If you’re spinning your wheels transitioning from keto/low carb to a more balanced, MetFlex lifestyle, check out Rachel’s Keto For Women program HERE!
- [35:00] Question: I do very strenuous morning hikes several times a week. What are good pre-workout food options?
- [35:30] Go-to quick morning snacks before workouts
- [39:30] Slower digesting carb… UCAN Super Starch
- [40:00] Question: Do you take pre-workout?
- [40:30] Purity Coffee
- [42:00] Benefits of consuming salt or sodium pre-workout
- [43:00] Rachel’s recommendation on what to look for in a pre-workout
- [46:30] Benefits of L citrulline
- [48:00] Benefits of Alpha GPC
- [49:30] Benefits of beta-alanine
- [52:30] Legion Athletics Pre-Workout
- [52:30] Use the discount code “METFLEXLIFE” for 20% off your first purchase
- [54:00] If you want to have the best workout follow these 5 tips!
- [56:00] Thank you for all the love and support! If you would like to help support the show and leave a review here are the deets: How to Leave an Apple Podcast Review: First, Open the podcast app on your iPhone, Mac, or iPad. Then, hit the “Search” tab at the bottom right-hand corner of the page and search for MetFlex and Chill. Select the podcast, scroll down to find the subheading “Ratings & Reviews”. and select “Write a Review.” Next, select the number of stars you’d like to leave. Please choose 5 stars! Using the text box which says “Title,” write a title for your review. Then in the text box, write the review itself. The review can be up to 300 words long, but doesn’t need to be much more than: “Love the show! Thanks!” or “Rachel provides wonderful content from a multitude of expert guests!” Once you’re done select “Send” in the upper right-hand corner.
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Check out Rachel’s Keto For Women course
- MetFlex Life Course
- Legion Athletics Pre-Workout
- Apply for 1-on-1 coaching with Rachel
- Episode 41: Breaking The Addiction with Karen Thomson
- Episode 71: Lose Fat AND Build Muscle with Christopher Barakat
- Episode 44: Pre-Workout Supplements, BCAAs, Building Muscle With JUST Body Weight Exercises, SLEEP, & More!
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for updates, tips, recipes, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss keto basics keto for women lab tests lifestyle meal prep muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes research/articles resources tips transformations vegetables & sides videos workout nutrition